Thread: 2002 R1150RT starting concern

Default 2002 R1150RT starting concern

I have had the bike for over a year and it did this from when I got it. In order to start it I always have to use the choke warm or cold. I was surprised because it was fuel injected. Also some times it would take a couple of times to keep it started. I mean I put choke on click the start button it would start then stall. Most of the time the 2nd one would keep running. It would take a couple of cranks in order to start too. I was wondering if this is normal with this bike? The bike runs and drives great no issues once started.

Bike has 38,000+ miles on it.

Things I have done so far with in the year.

New fuel line quick disconnects
    New wires and plugs ( bosch plus 2)
    Adjusted for proper valve clearances
    Re-sync throttle bodies together.
    New K&N Air Filter
    2002 R1150RT

My 2002 R1150R has always required the use of the choke on the first cold start even in warm weather. When fully warmed up, if only shut down a short time it will crank right up without it, but if it sits a while or the weather is cold I have to use it to restart. I haven't thought it to be unusual. This is my first fuel injected bike. It may be because of lean settings, mine gets real good mileage, on one trip in the mountains I got 50 mpg, traveling slowly and lightly loaded.

Jeff Sparks

Thanks for the reply. Yes mine starts right up once it has been running for a bit. That's some pretty good MPG. I avg about 40 with mine.

Again thanks for the reply
    2002 R1150RT

That mileage figure was with the bikini windshield and soft luggage that I had left in the hotel. We were riding around the Deal's Gap area. Now that I have added the touring windshield, factory racks with system bags and a Givi on the luggage rack my figures are about the same as yours. I feel like a I have made a pack mule out of a fine thoroughbred, but you have to have room to put jackets, rainsuits, and tire pumps.
    Jeff Sparks

Too funny.
    The bags were one reason I went with the RT. I needed something to carry my lunch and hold my extra cloths as a work vehicle. I hated wearing a back pack with previous bike.
    2002 R1150RT

Default "Choke" lever use...

I always have to use the "choke" (fast idle) lever to start Inga...I have also found that it like a little throttle cracked.....when "cold"...starts immediately with this MO.....

Heed "NEAD": No Egos, Attitudes, Distractions!!!
    '04 RT "Inga" '82 RS "Igor"
    Shep Brown MOA: 27510
    Pensacola, Florider

Once warmed up does the bike idle around 1150 rpm? If you do your own maintenance, you need to take the two brass screws out that adjust the idle speed and thoroughly clean them. Many shops do not and carbon builds on them. Another thing to try is to reset the motronic ( fuel scheduling brain). Do this by disconnecting the negative battery cable and let i set like that for a bit. After reconnecting, turn the key on but do not start the bike. Fully open anc close the throttle three times then turn the key off. That is supposed to reset the throttle position sensor. Try and start the bike and see what happens.