Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Final Drive failing??

I got the baby back home today. Melanie took the trailer down to BMW Daytona and picked it up since I am on call and can't drive there. I have nothing but good comments about BMW Daytona and Pinnacle insurance. They rebuilt the final drive, replaced the rear rotor because of the tech bulletin, new rear pads, and repalced the stereo because rear speakers weren't working, amp failure. All work now comes under BMW warranty that will cover everything worked on for two years. $1400 worth of parts and labor and they covered all but $69.48. I'm good now for another 50,000 miles
    Greg and Melanie
    06 K1200LT
    05 VStrom 1000
    02 VStrom 1000 (in Germany)

2WANDRRs.com
    BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF, AMA

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE

Thats great news Greg. Hope to see you guys at Shell Mound.
    Bob Steber
    1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
    1991 R100GS The Bumblebee
    1976 R90s Odalisque

Glad you got it worked out Greg...see you guys soon!
    Current Bikes
    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
    '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

[I]BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

They rebuilt the final drive, replaced the rear rotor because of the tech bulletin, new rear pads, and repalced the stereo because rear speakers weren't working, amp failure. All work now comes under BMW warranty that will cover everything worked on for two years. $1400 worth of parts and labor and they covered all but $69.48. I'm good now for another 50,000 miles
    Mine quit 50,000 miles ago, does that mean I'm doomed?
    Jim Dubick
    2010 R1200RT
    BMW MOAL BMWMOA

I had the rear drive go out on a R1100RT at around 48k miles, ordered bearings and replaced them, drive last about 10k miles and went wobbly again. Again I installed bearings/cups checked play /shims, lasted about another 10k after I sold it, replaced the drive at my expense. I rebuilt a K rear drive or two with better success, same bearings, so couldn't understand what was going on. Later on I learned that BMW had a high failure rate with early type (large) bearings so they changed the number of ball bearings in the part! The mechanic told me that you had to watch out that dealers may be selling the old parts they got stuck with! So thought I would pass that along if you do work on your own bike.
    Mike

I also ran synthetic oil in the rear drive, not so sure it is better for the drive, went back to Lucas or brand name GL5 rated oil and no problems so far. I fly UL airplanes and was considering synthetic two stroke oil until I read an article by mechanic telling that crankshafts in motors that sat didn't rust with petro based oils run in them like the synthetic oil motors did! So the synthetic oil is better as far as breaking down and heat but not so sure about protection against rust in a humid climate if you let a motorcycle sit for extended periods. I'm thinking that a blend may offer more protection than I thought initially.
    Mike

Thumbs up Main drive bearings and lubricants

I read about a year ago about the replacement final drive bearings and the change that BMW made. It is an eye opener regarding synthetic oil versus mineral oils.

Thanks for the tip(s)

Regards,

Flatrabbit
    2000 K1200LT
    2007 Husqvarna Lawn Tractor

I had my final drive fail at Kinderfest this summer. Unfortunately, the bike had to be trailered back to Louisiana. Since the previous failure was in April 2010, BMW warrantied the replacement. That was failure #5 for me!!

Original failure @ 39,640 miles
    Second failure @ 59,806 miles
    Third failure @ 163,581 miles (actually was tapered bearing failure, but changed main bearing as precaution
    Fourth failure @ 190,782 miles
    Fifth failure @ 224,574 miles

All but the third were warrantied by BMW Motorcycles of Baton Rouge (formerly Heberts Cycles). Since I kept the bearing that had over 100,000 miles on it, I told the dealer that one would go back in if I had another failure!!!
    Tommy Z.
    2012 K1600GTL
    BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, AMA

www.bayoubikers.net