Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Trip

Wow what a story. I feel for you guys. Anyone that has riden for awhile has had stuff like that happen and it ain't fun.
    Tim

2012 G650GS BMW
    2012 Harley FLHTCUSE7 Ultra Classic CVO

I guess I was not totally clear. We used the trailer to get the bike back home. We left both bikes there and doing the whole thing by car.
    Thanks,
    Gary
    Charm and Mr. Congeniality

OMG! Man, I am sorry to hear about your misfortune. I thought that stuff only happened to me & Paul! Try & have a great trip anyway .
    Gail & Paul
    G650GS / KLR650 / R1200R
    IBA #23343 & 23344
    "Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason." Jerry Seinfield

Smile we really are not dead

Finally got to when a wifi connection is not dropping us off half way through a post.
    Today we are in Dawson Yukon. All is well and we are still married after nearly three weeks of not being out of one an other's sight.
    Yesterday we drove the northern hlaf of the Cassiar highway and a bit of the ALCAN. The upper section of the Cassiar is rougher than I remembered 3 years ago. Maybe a good thing we went on the bikes. Lots of loose stuff and some of it bigger thn golf balls, thne some soft freshly graded almost crusher run mix junk. total about 110 miles. Today a lot of pea gravel and large size loose stuff between Whitehorse and Dawson. So far no flats norbroke wind shields. Tomorrow we go to Chicken (about another 100 miles on dirt and gravel. thenthe rest of the trip will be on asphalt.
    Day before yesterday we went to Hyder and saw a grizzly trying to catch some salmon. We also 6 black bears on or along side the road.
    Yesterday we saw a moose and 6 more black bears, then the strangest widllife we saw were three nude bicyclist (1male and two females) on the Cassiar. Gues you could say they were the three bares.
    Next post is rather lengthy but its lets you know a little of what we have done up to this point. See ya when we get back, maybe the August meeting.

Gary & Angie

Default Trip update

I am sorry I have not posted more often. Actually have tried several times but just have not had the band width. Can’t even get my photos posted on the Picasa web album. Will try again later on.

Day 2

Visited Fairbanks city park in Terre Haute. Park runs along the Wabash River. Visit birth place of ______ who wrote the IN state song “Along the Wabash River.” Went I94 through downtown Chicago . Hwy under construction. Traffic terrible, but Angie did get some good pictures of the Chicago skyline including Sears towers. Went to friend we met in Africa, John Shelton’s for the night. John lives in Waukegan, IL just south of the WI line.

Day 4
    Gary’s Birthday. Did the Harley-Davidson factory tour then hung around the Rally site.

Day 6

Packed to leave rally. Attended worship services. Left West Bend at 9:00. Drove through Wisconsin Dells - what a waste and disappointment. Tourist trap just like Gatlinburg only flatter. Crossed into Minnesota at La Crosse, WI. Went through Winona, MN - the home of Watkins Salve and home products. Drove Hwy 61 most of the day
    right along the Upper Mississippi River. Lots of lakes and sail boats. Stopped in Red Wing Minnesota to take a photo of the Red Wing Shoe Company - it was Sunday, so they were closed. Camped at Royalton, MN (US10)at the Morrison County Park - $10. Park is right on the Mississippi River. Here it is about 100 yards wide.

Day 7

Drove US 10 to North Dakota State Line at Fargo. Stopped at Frazee, MN to take a photo of the self claimed “World’s Largest Turkey” and I thought it was my sons-in-law. Got on I94 and drove straight across ND. Rode by largest Buffalo statue in Jamestown, ND. Rode the Enchanted Hwy from Gladstone to Regent, ND. This 25 mile section has a series of metal sculptures which claim to be the largest in the world.
    Rode by the ND Badlands. Stopped for night in Glendive, MT. 99degrees at 7 pm. We got a motel room.

Day 8
    Drove Hwy 200 across Montana. Stopped at several historical markers along Hwy 200. Just west of Lincoln an 18 wheeler had flipped and caused a chemical spill - both lanes blocked. Waited about 30 minutes and was told it maybe mid-night before clean-up and passage. We were only 30 miles short of our destination and was facing 100+ miles rerouting or waiting it out. Decided to reroute and turned the car around . Just that moment a road worker came up and announced they were letting traffic pass - whee. Stopped at Seeley lake to visit with my uncle at their summer cabin.

Day 10

Left Montana for Coulee City, WA. Along the way discovered Angie left her phone at Bonnie’s. Quick call and told them to mail it home. 59 degrees at Coeur d’Alene, ID. At Spokane it was 63 degrees at noon. Quite a difference than the 105 when we were there 3 years ago for the M OA Rally. Good time to Coulee City so we decided to push on to Tacoma. Started raining on the west side of the Cascades. The car is being to look good. Traffic on I405 and I5 is a disaster. Took us 2 hrs to go about 45 miles to McChord AFB in Tacoma. Checked with Visitors Quarters and no vacancies (called Ft. Lewis - same answer.) We camped at the AF FamCamp on McChord.

Day 11

Just after breaking camp it started to rain. We went shopping in the BX, then to the Sheraton to join our 205th Aviation comrades. Check the roster and only three others from my tour with the 205th are attending the reunion, but we meet and make new friends with others attending. In the evening we went to South Sound BMW where our friend Wayne Elston is the manager. We go home with Wayne for the evening in Poulsbo, WA. Wayne and his wife, Patrice treat us to a wonder evening out for dinner and music. We had met Wayne in Africa.

Day 12

Back to Sheraton to check in and spent the day visiting and telling lies (war stories). For the evening we have a wonderful banquet with about 55 attending. The evening included the posting of colors by active duty soldiers, a ceremony for the missing men of the 205th, and a report from one of the members on the current status of the Army in Germany - not much left.

Day 13 & 14

Went to Mike and Aileen Paull’s house for two days. We met Mike during our tour of Africa. He is the touring partner for Helge Pederson with GlobeRiders. Mike and Aileen live in a magnificent house with an Asian garden that blows ones mind. It helps to be retired from Microsoft, but in saying that Mike is one of the nicest guy ever with no ego what so ever . Mike gave us a tour of Seattle and took us shopping in the Asian food market. Neither Angie nor myself had ever seen such a selection of meats and produce. Mike and Aileen were shopping for a dinner for 14 that they were giving in our honor. Dinner was a traditional Japanese dinner (not like anything one finds at the Japanese restaurants. All of the guest were friends from the Africa tour and spouses. What a great evening.

Day 15

We are sitting at the campground over looking the Thompson River in British Columbia. A train is passing and overhead circles a bald eagle. Then two osprey fly down the river as the sun sets. This is why we travel, we are at Spences Bridge, BC. We had left Mike in preparation for the upcoming Africa tour. We crossed the border without incident into Canada at Sumas, WA. Drove through Cache Canyon and all its sights to Spences Bridge to camp. I knew there was a laundry room at the campground I had stayed at in 2004. Unfortunately, I didn’t remember that trains ran about every 30 minutes all night. So for the second time I got little sleep at Spences Bridge.

Gary

Default photos

finaly got a little band width, so posted some photos. here is a samplin g of the 1000+ we have taken.
    Gary

http://picasaweb.google.com/duboisga/Alaska0702

Watch out for them bares Gary! Looks like you guys are having fun. Send more...send more!
    Current Bikes
    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
    '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

[I]BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

Great pics Gary, looks like ya'll discovered a whole new sub-species of "bares". They do look pretty friendly though.
    Gator
    BoB

CURRENT BIKEs

2010 R 1200 GS
    2011 Suzuki DR 650

CLUB AFFILIATIONS
    BMWMOA, BMWMOAL,

Great photos Gary!!

Thanks.

Bob
    Bob Steber
    1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
    1976 R90s Odalisque

Default Back in the USA

we got back into the usa yesterday. We are at Shelby, MT. intend to go by Sturgis this week and then home. Can say I have not been missing the heat of Alabama.

Here are some more photos

http://picasaweb.google.com/duboisga/AlaskaTrip

Gary & Angie