Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The K12 is out of commission for a while.

Beemer Bone Yard has one for $120:
    http://www.beemerboneyard.com/driveshafts.html
    Jamie
    02 K1200lt
    82 R100RT

How many miles do you have on your LT? I have not heard of a driveshaft problem before.
    Jim Dubick
    2010 R1200RT
    BMW MOAL

Default k1200lt

I have 63,000 + miles on this bike. I bought it used from Bogart's in May of 2008 with 57,000 miles on it.

Thumbs up K1200lt

I saw that drive shaft on the internet. Mr. Hand also found one on ebay yesterday.

Thumbs up K1200lt driveshaft

I picked up my bike from Hand's Performance Motorsports this past Saturday. Apparently the circlip on the drive shaft failed, thus causing the collateral damage to my driveshaft.

Mr. Hand installed a driveshaft on my K1200-lt and now my bike rides like a new one. I keep telling our members about Mr. Hand. He is an excellent bike mechanic and keeps his costs reasonable compared to dealers. He works on BMW, Harley Davidson, Honda, and I am sure other bikes.

I have found him very proficient, honest and customer oriented in my dealings with him. If anyone needs any work done, he can be reached at 205.221-3802. His shop is in Jasper, Alabama on Highway 118 just before it merges with Corridor X on the right side of the road.

Default The bike is back in my garage.

The K12 is back in my garage after being repaired by my friend Les Willey. The problem turned out to be a failure of the Clutch Slave Cylinder which contaminated the clutch plate with brake fluid. While he was in there, Les checked to see if any oil was leaking past the "O" ring at the engine output shaft. There was no leakage, but since these "O" rings have a tendency to leak, he pulled the "O" ring and it was so brittle, it broke when he removed it (a failure waiting to happen) (see the photos at Picasa). He replaced the "O" ring with a Viton ring that has a working temperature about 100 degrees higher than the stock ring. He also drilled weep holes in the housing. Here are photos of the tear-down and the "O" ring.

http://picasaweb.google.com/schuckma..._K1200_Repair#

I took the bike for a long test ride this afternoon and it feels great. Total cost for the repair (parts and labor) was $825.59. Les did a great job - He works primarily on BMW bikes, but will work on other brands also.
    Steve Schuckman
    2002 K1200RS Ice Blue/Marrakesh
    2015 Mercedes SLK350