Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The K12 is out of commission for a while.

Default The K12 is out of commission for a while.

I hadn't taken a ride for a while so I headed out this morning. Just a couple of miles down the road when I twisted the throttle the bike shuttered for about 1/4 second and then the RPM's rose rapidly but the bike didn't accelerate. Tried again and got the same results. I talked to a friend who is also a motorcycle mechanic and he guessed from my description that an "O" ring had hardened over the years and leaked some oil onto the clutch. It seems this is common for the 1998 to 2002 model year K1200RS bikes. He is going to give it a test ride to verify and then tear it down for inspection and repair. I'll be without a bike for a while (It helps a little if I try to convince myself it's too hot to ride anyway).

Any K12 owners experience this problem?
    Steve Schuckman
    2002 K1200RS Ice Blue/Marrakesh
    2015 Mercedes SLK350

Steve, it is a very common problem for the K1200's; and very expensive. When you have the clutch replaced be sure to drill a weep hole at the clutch servo housing to prevent future problems. Also you can drill a weep hole in the bottom of the clutch housing to drain any oil that leaks past the rear main seal. Go to http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/cmps_index.php and search for "clutch servo weep hole".
    Jamie
    02 K1200lt
    82 R100RT

Unhappy K1200-lt drive problems

I just got my K12 out of the shop where I had the weep hole drilled and a small oil leak repaired. (I was fortunate on this because it was discovered tht the transmission drain plug was leaking. A copper crush washer fixed this. On Saturday, June 20th I rode from Jasper to Nauvoo, Alabama to see if any BMW Club members might have been there at the car show. On the way back, I felt a small vibration through the handle bars which turned quickly into a noise similar to a ball bearing with a missing roller ball. Since I was feeling the vibration through the handlebars, I stopped and checked the front wheel bearings. They were not overheated. I got on my bike and made it about another five miles when the bike simply stopped driving. It was as if the clutch was being held in. There was not grinding or thumping. It acted as if the clutch was being held in. I had to stop and get my wife to come get me and I returned and loaded the bike on a trailer. I will put it in the shop and advise what was found. Any ideas?

I had just changed the oil in my final drive. The old oil was clear and I did not see any metal filings or other contamination. The transmission oil was also changed while it was in the shop.

I am 100% sure of this - the K1200LT does not have a washer of any kind on the transmission drain plug. It is an interference fit and must be properly torqued to avoid a leak. If a crush washer was required then something else is wrong.

The transmission fill plug however, does have an aluminum crush washer that must be replaced with each fluid change to prevent a leak.

It would be my guess, that since you just had the weep hole drilled, that it may have been drilled improperly, causing a leak that saturated the clutch disc with engine oil or clutch fluid.

Let us know what you find out.
    Jamie
    02 K1200lt
    82 R100RT

Thumbs up

Mr. Jamie,
    Thanks for the info. I had the weep hole drilled at Hand's Performance Machines in Jasper. Chris is an excellent mechanic who is knowledgeable of BMW bikes. He drilled a weep hole for another club member on his K12LT.

If oil had gotten on the clutch, would I have had the noise associated with this problem? It sounded like a bad bearing to to begin with, then I lost drive in my bike. It made no noise whatsoever when the drive went.

It is in the shop and I should know something by Tuesday. I will let you know when I find out.

Regards,

Seems to be a lot of talk these days about BMW and bearings. Don't know this for a fact, but was told BMW started buying bearings from China a few years back. I remember 20 years ago when the the pressure vessel industry starting buying flanges and nuts and bolts from China, for high pressure/temperature service. There was plenty of failures due their lack of focus on the metallurgy of their products. Kind of makes me wonder.
    Tim

2012 G650GS BMW
    2012 Harley FLHTCUSE7 Ultra Classic CVO

Default K-1200lt drive problems

If BMW is buying bearings (or other machine parts from China), that is the first step of quality beginning to go downhill.

I am wondering..................is the fit from the engine crankshaft to the universal joint on the drive shaft a slip fit with a lock ring retainer? I am just wondering if the lockring failed and the universal joint may have backed off the crankshaft. Regardless, I will know sometime this coming Tuesday.

What is so wierd, that my transmission was shifting as smoothly as it ever has when it failed me.

Jerryl, the drive shaft connects to the transmission output shaft with a circlip to hold it in place. If the circlip fails to hold the shaft in place it can back off the transmission output shaft. Page 9, step 4, of the attached describes how to reseat the circlip:
    http://www.bmwlt.com/files/albums/us...e-drilling.pdf
    Jamie
    02 K1200lt
    82 R100RT

Default K12lt drive

I sure am fortunate to have a resident expert available as a reference. Your comments and advice are well received. Judging on the symtoms during the failure, it sounds to me that the circlip may have failed. There was not any grinding, bumping of gears, etc. Just a slight "clacking" noise, and then no power to the rear wheel. No fluids were leaking. I will know for sure when Mr. Hand gets inside the bike and I will advise.

Unhappy My k1200-lt

Mr. Jamie,
    I just learned today that my drive shaft is bad.

You don't have an extra one laying around that you aren't using do you?