Thread: Blount Mineral Springs

Default Blount Mineral Springs

If Ken Pedigo is gracious enough to lead any of you on the "Tail of the Lizard" ride, by all means do it. However, I want to offer a little caution; if the ride takes a break at the Blount Mineral Springs, no matter how alluring the water is, DON'T TASTE IT! After much research I have determined that it has no thereputic value of any kind and I am certain that it boils directly from the very pits of Hell, and the allure to taste it is surely a guise of Satan himself! The stream created by the springs looks and smells like septic tank runoff. I don't know why but in the heat of the moment I tried it last Saturday and still taste it. I have tried mouthwash, whiskey, onions, garlic, chili, tomatoes, etc. but still taste it.

The ride, however, is very pleasant and the host and hostess are wonderful folks. Ken is a very surefooted and cautious guide.
    Jamie
    02 K1200lt
    82 R100RT

Hah...hah..hah...so you took the challenge to drink a big slug?? LMAO!! You da man jj!!
    Current Bikes
    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
    '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

[I]BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

HA !
    I'll bet the "Red" corn from our last Shrimp boil would burn the taste away. Try gargling with Tobasco, it'll simulate the same thing and I feel sure it will work. hehehehehe

connie

Hey Jamie. I hope you got over your experience with the "devil's water" flowing from the Blount Springs . Hopefully, you took your sample from one of the concrete portals in the spring bed, and not down stream in the silted area.

Let's thank Gary Williams for recommending Blount Springs for the ABEES Travel Guide, because we haven't seen a more entertaining report on a point of interest to date.

Here is a link that briefly explains the early history of Blount Springs . It states that thousands of wealthy people gathered there in the late 1800s and early 1900s to drink the water for health reasons. Now we know why life expectancy was so low back then. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blount_springs
    Bob Steber
    1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
    1976 R90s Odalisque

Bob, I don't think the tourists came to drink the water but to bathe in it. It appears that the remnants of the "spa" remain down near the highway and is covered by heavy timbers. If you look closely you can see the old steps that led down into the spa.

Naw...I don't think anyone would travel great distances just to try to drink the Satan's brew... Naw!
    Jamie
    02 K1200lt
    82 R100RT

Morning Jamie.

They did both. My grandfather and his relatives and friends religiously drank the mineral water at Sulfur Springs, and Red Boiling Springs, Tennessee believing it was good for their health. Actually, he almost make it to 100.
    Bob Steber
    1976 R90s Odalisque

Yeah, I guess so...drinking that stinky stuff is bound to make you tough...and you got to be tough to live long in this life!
    as for me, I have never had the guts to drink it...I can't get past the smell of it!
    Current Bikes
    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
    '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

[I]BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

Quote Originally Posted by R90Srider View Post
    Morning Jamie.

They did both. My grandfather and his relatives and friends religiously drank the mineral water at Sulfur Springs, and Red Boiling Springs, Tennessee believing it was good for their health. Actually, he almost make it to 100.
    I think you are confusing mineral water with the Blount Springs liquid brimstone. If Hell has a septic tank then this is surely the run off. Some mineral water is okay, but not that stuff!
    Jamie
    02 K1200lt
    82 R100RT

Agreed.

This all reminds me of one of my childhood's fondest memories. My mom had just gone to Sulfur Springs, Tennessee to get a supply of the spring water for my grand father. It was in the fridge in a clear gallon bottle with the little ring handle on top. Next morning, my dad poured himself a big glass of what he thought was cold water, and after gulping a big sallow of "Pop's sulfur water, he spewed it all over the kitchen and muttered his occasional expletives starting with what the h... is that #@@##. I barely escaped a "whippin" because of laughing so hard.
    Last edited by R90srider; 10-29-2008 at 03:22 PM.
    Bob Steber
    1976 R90s Odalisque