Thread: Club Meeting at Joe Wheeler State Park. March 27 - 29.

Default Club Meeting at Joe Wheeler State Park. March 27 - 29.

Hello Alabeemers.

I’m going to ride to Joe Wheeler State Park Friday morning, March 27, 2020 for our monthly club meeting. If you are looking for a good ride, join me at Hardee’s (I 65 exit 247 & Valleydale Road), stands up at 8am (full tank empty bladder). We will go on I 65 to I 22 through Jasper to Double Springs and stop there to see the incredible Dual Destiny Monument. Then we’ll continue to curvy Sr 33 through the Bankhead National Forest to Staggs Grocery in Florence for a great cheeseburger. After lunch we will continue on to Joe Wheeler State Park in Rogersville, AL..

Additionally, Saturday morning, 28th, join me for a ride over to the Waterloo Trail Of Tears Memorial. On the return trip, we will ride my favorite NW Alabama roads, Cr 45 and Cr 8 and stop in Florence for lunch at Trowbridge Ice Cream and Sandwich Shop. After lunch, if you want, we can visit either the Frank Lloyd Wright, Rosenbaum House or the W. C. Handy Museum, your choice. Stand’s up at 9am in front of the lodge. Please, full tank empty bladder.
    Last edited by R90srider; 03-09-2020 at 02:30 PM.
    Bob Steber
    1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
    1991 R100GS The Bumblebee
    1976 R90s Odalisque

Here is additional information pertaining to the Dual Destiny Statue in Double Springs. This monument is one of the most historically significant statues in Alabama and people have been known to shed a tear after seeing it.

Dual Destiny, Double Springs, Winston County, Alabama

"At the Winston County Courthouse, a statue of a Civil War soldier flanked by billowing Confederate and Union flags, representing the "Free State of Winston". The Plaque reads: The Civil War was not fought between the north and the south but between the Union and the Confederate armies. Perhaps as many as 300,000 Southerners served in the Union Army. The majority of the Appalachian south from West Virginia to Winston County was pro-union. Winston provided 239 confederate soldiers, 21 of whom shared last names. This Civil War soldier, 1/2 union and 1/2 confederate, symbolizes the war within a war and honors the Winstonians in both armies. Their shiny new swords of 1861 were by 1865 as broken as the spirits of the men who bore them; and their uniforms of blue and gray once fresh and clean, were now as worn and patched as the bodies and souls they contained. Johnny Reb and Billy Yank disillusioned; but the realities of war shared dual destinies as pragmatic Americans in a reunioned nation.
    Notice how the soldier’s face bears tragedy, with a cap pulled tight against the brow. His eyes have seen what cannot be unseen.
    Winston County had 239 Union and 112 Confederate soldiers identified in war rosters. A county divided. Furthermore, 21 soldiers had shared surnames. Brother against brother. Family against family. An added perspective is that Winston County was not the only southern county proclaiming loyalty to the United States instead of to the Confederacy. Counties in Mississippi, Arkansas, and Tennessee also expressed public allegiance to the union. Some estimates indicate that as many as 300,000 Southerners served in the Union army."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Bob Steber
    1976 R90s Odalisque

In addition to the GPX route file above, here are two PDF route files for our Friday and Saturday rides to Joe Wheeler and Waterloo. You can plot these directions onto your MAPS.
    Bob Steber
    1976 R90s Odalisque