Thread: BBQ Then Reconnoiter Rally Site!

Default BBQ Then Reconnoiter Rally Site!

Time to Fish or Cut Bait Y'all. Please répondez s'il vous plaît (RSVP)!

You're wholeheartedly invited to Ride-2-Eat on Saturday, 7-Sept to Eat First and then perform Recon on the 'Proposed New AlaBeemer Rally Site at the Artists' compound in Fort Deposit, AL' {as previously documented in the Planned Rides/Ride2Eat thread: https://forums.bmwmoal.org/showthrea...p-Reconnoiter! } It's your opportunity to express your POV regarding the 2020 Chicken Rally in general: Will it happen as has occurred on many Memorial Day weekends in years past; In What State will it take place; and What will be the Rally's Format going forward in 2020? All these crucial details must be nailed down! Shall we get the Local VFD to prepare the dinners for our guests OR do we save money by "Doing it Ourselves?" The viewpoint at Vance's house was to Deep Six The Whole Shabang, but the proposed Motion Failed upon meeting attendee voting. Please come to Lunch and express some interest in continuing the tradition! We'll then meet with Red Heartsill to tour the rally site.

Our latest idea is to meet for lunch at the nearby FRONT PORCH BBQ just off Exit 42 on I-65 @11:30. We'll then ride a few miles over to the April 2020 Fort Deposit Artists' Venue to inspect and question Len regarding 'Accoutrements' for our many expected BMW M/C Rally attendees. The City's proprietors are keen to expand awareness of their township; they're also willing to 'give us a very good deal on next year's contract.' We'll just need to advertise our Memorial Day rally early-on in all the trade magazines and encourage folks to come from Far & Wide for a spectacular Memorial Day weekend event at a brand New Location in central Alabama! The Front Porch BBQ restaurant is at: 881 Old Fort Road E in Fort Deposit, AL. Check out their Facebook page menu, And then RSVP in the Affirmative either here on the Forum or to Tim Flynn directly that you look forward to this important AlaBeemer Ride-2-Eat get-together!

https://www.facebook.com/FrontPorchBarBQ/menu/

Thanks for your consideration,
    BHM-Tim & HSV-Phil

Since I can't make editorial changes to my Previous Post, please chew on these additions, Y'All!

The next Business Meeting, to be held in September in Scottsboro, will be Crunch Time as far as the Chicken Rally is concerned.
    P & K will not be there in Scottboro as we'll be sunning ourselves in the Florida Keys [after riding there on our own Beemers, of course].

Tim Requests all you AlaBeemers with a historical interest in the annual Chicken Rally turn out on 7 Sept to eat some good BBQ, and to 'inspect' the proposed New Rally Site!' Come out and show some interest before voting on the Final Disposition of Your Club's Annual Rally in September! Simple as that.

Karen and Phil are new to the club, but we can appreciate a Well-Run Event when we encounter one!
    Humbly Scribed by HSV-Phil in SouthEast Rocket City, USA

Pretty please --> Répondez s'il vous plaît (RSVP)!

Anyone considering Tim's Luncheon & Reconnaissance Ride?

RSVP means: tell us Yeah or Neah!

I am going to try to make it. Traffic depending, I may not make it to the lunch part but will try.

Already talked to Tim. Sheila and i will be there but won"t make the lunch. Will see ya'll at the park at 12:30.

Jim

Phil,
    Gail and I will try to make it to the lunch. We've got something to do that afternoon and may not be able to go to the proposed rally site. Thanks, Paul
    Gail & Paul
    G650GS / KLR650 / R1200R
    IBA #23343 & 23344
    "Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason." Jerry Seinfield

Sorry I was unable to make it to Ft Deposit, family emergency, but would love to hear some of your thoughts about the viability of the site and any issues that might need to be addressed. Pros and cons etc.
    Jeanne

Jeanne,
    Gail and I had only planned to eat and head home but we ended up going by the rally site. We have not been active in the rally the last few years so others may provide a better prospective, but you asked! There is a assortment of buildings on the property that could be used for different things. Also, there is a large covered area set up for food prep with a walk in cooler. The owner said they are in the process of buildings showers, but I didn't hear him say when they would be finished. To be honest, parts of the property looked a little rough but maybe it was because the grass needed to be cut. One concern I had was a possible lack of shade. There are several large pine trees but not a canopy of shade trees like in Dunlap. Keep in mind, the site is 300 miles south of Dunlap. We headed home before the others, so I have no idea what kind of cost they are talking about. Maybe someone else will have more information. Paul
    Gail & Paul
    G650GS / KLR650 / R1200R
    IBA #23343 & 23344
    "Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason." Jerry Seinfield

Default Last Call for Review of AlaBeemer Rally Site!

Tim & Jim, Paul & Gail, Jim & Sheila, and Phil & Karen all met in Fort Deposit on Sept 7th to tour the Calico Fort proposed rally site. Since it’s the end of summer, the grounds were overgrown and hadn’t been mowed since mid-April. As Vance’s photos depicted in my earlier thread ( https://forums.bmwmoal.org/showthrea...mp-Reconnoiter! ), their Artists’ Fort certainly has a rustic appearance. But considering the time and effort the club’s put into identifying a new Chicken Rally location in Alabama, the price for the 2020 rally will be unmatchable (especially when compared to the sky high costs for renting Ditto Landing).

We met with Tim’s buddy, Ren Heartsill, and the fort’s groundskeeper, Tooty (aka James), to discuss the list of requirements for our M/C rally. Of course it will all be legitimized and finalized with a contract, but Ren seems eager to showcase their unique fort, township and county. They promised to overhaul an existing out-building (across a large treeless field) into the necessary shower facilities before next Memorial Day {It was remarked that they want to be able to support evacuees from some sort of emergency evacuation (without having to utilize the volunteer fire department’s building)}. We agreed that it is a large kitchen and serving area for our modest rally, but we were told that they usually host 4 to 5 thousand people during their April craft event. We were reminded the fort has 18 RV spots, 6 near the entrance and 12 along another fence line (with a dump station on the property).

The subject of meals was discussed and instead of involving the VFD as was thought, Ren called a local and trusted female caterer. She will come up with an estimated cost for preparing and delivering 125 beef plates on Friday and 125 chicken servings on Saturday. She apparently has a kitchen where such quantities can be prepared instead of using the previously mentioned food prep area on-site. Tim & Ren also discussed getting a local trash collector to deliver a modest, square dumpster for our use, whereas they usually get several RoRo dumpsters for their popular artists’ gathering; they also have contacts for a 'Porta-John' provider for the tent-campers at night! Ren & Tooty also indicated that we’ll have the Fort to ourselves so all riders/campers are responsible for their own actions regarding the possession & consumption of alcohol. They also have contacts with local musicians if we want to arrange for live music in their small, electrified amphitheater.

So, I’ve presented everything we've learned to date. Y’all will need to decide ‘sooner rather than later’ If & Where the next rally will be held. Bloody Bill has mentioned both the Sept Meeting in Scottsboro for discussions as well as the October meeting for a final Decision... We discussed advertising in the trade magazines ASAP in order to give distant riders some time to schedule their vacations next year. I’m posting a few more pictures to compliment what Vance has already posted. We, Team Ager, believe that this venue will suffice. It is a Very Good Value, but it’s also a bit of a gamble. Time to Fish or cut bait though. This club’s annual rally ought to be within the state’s boundaries. Come up with another suggestion if you don’t like this one (but nobody ever does -- Thank You, Tim!)…

CIAO! HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

Main Entry Point:
    Entry-Point.jpeg

View of Amphitheater:
    Amphithearer.jpeg

Sheila & Gail headed towards Kitchen/Serving Pavillon
    Sheila-Gail.jpeg

Food Prices at Fort Last April
    2019-Prices.jpeg

Other toilets in the Distance:
    Other-Toilets.jpeg

Showers From Main Entry Point:
    Distant-Showers.jpeg

Close-Up of the Future Showers!:
    Future-Showers.jpeg

View of Fort From the Showers!:
    From-Showers.jpeg
    Last edited by HSV-Phil; 09-14-2019 at 10:03 PM.

We won't be at the Scottsboro Mtg; unsure about the Guntersville Mtg.

But as far as 'Attractions' in the Fort Deposit area, let me offer you some of my research:

The Legacy Museum.
    115 Coosa Street, Montgomery, AL; 35 miles north of Ft Deposit, nr AL River.
    https://museumandmemorial.eji.org

The Equal Justice Initiative (EJI) is committed to ending mass incarceration and excessive punishment in the United States, to challenging racial and economic injustice, and to protecting basic human rights for the most vulnerable people in American society.

The National Memorial for Peace and Justice.
    417 Caroline Street, Montgomery, AL

Located in the heart of downtown Montgomery, the Legacy Museum and National Memorial for Peace and Justice are just a 16-minute walk apart. Purchase a combination ticket to experience both the museum and memorial in a single day.

Rosa Parks Library & Museum.
    252 Montgomery St, Montgomery, AL; (334) 241-8615
    Hours: Monday-Friday 9am-5pm; Saturday 9am-3pm
    Admission Fee: $7.50 Adults; $1 discount for AAA & AARP

Alabama Shakespeare Festival.
    1 Festival Drive, Montgomery, AL. (334) 271-5353; info@asf.net
    https://asf.net/visit/when-you-arrive/

Chris’ Hot Dogs.
    Founded in 1917 at 138 Dexter Ave, Montgomery, AL near The Capital.
    https://chrishotdogs.com/location

Maxwell Air Force Base downtown Montgomery, near the Alabama River.

Selma, AL is 47 miles NW up CR-45 onto Hwy 80 to Edmund Pettus Bridge.
    https://www.selmaalabama.com/explore/attractions.html

Tin Man Studio. 9 Lauderdale St. Selma, AL.
    Known for his knack at creating 3-D works from metal and other materials, Charlie Lucas turned a hobby into a profession following a back injury in 1984. Now The Tin Man’s art has been seen from Selma to Montgomery, from New York to France. He has lectured at Yale and painted in Paris. His story and works also appear in more than 40 books. Call ahead to schedule a tour, (334) 327-1373

Feel free to add your ideas; Y'all have lived here much longer than we have.
    Ciao, Phil & Karen