Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Erik Bahl and the 2018 Cannonball Run

Hi All,

Thanks for all of the positive thoughts. I owe John and Jeanne Zibell quite a bit. They both helped out a lot in the two months prior to the Cannonball while I was laid up in a cast with a torn Achilles tendon. The cast came off the week before the start of the Cannonball and I went into a walking boot which comes off this week. Somehow I actually was able to ride the entire route of the Cannonball which was against my doctors advice. It was fantastic to be able to go across that part of the country. The Cannonball does not allow time for sight seeing so there are a lot of places I need to visit again. Maybe that happens on a modern BMW.

Post Cannonball Thoughts

The Cannonball is an enormous undertaking, and someone must be a little crazy to do it. The reality is that even if a rider makes a decision to attempt this it really is the support crew that makes this possible. I was very fortunate to have Zeke pilot my Ford Transit Van the “White Whale” for me three weeks after he turned 17. I was even more fortunate that his parents gave him permission to do this. It turns out we were a great team and we quickly found our routine. It is an exhausting event. John Z will remember from the time we spent together on the 2014 Cannonball with him running support!

Zeke repaired my headlight during our rest day in Sturgis. Turns out it was not working as it was damaged when Lucille my 1915 Harley and I hit the ground a few days earlier. I heard a couple of the riders had gotten tickets for non-working headlights so this needed to be addressed.

We rode 3441 of the planned 3674 miles as we had one segment cancelled due to bad storms. I completed all of the miles but suffered a points penalty due to a missed checkpoint which was about one mile from the finish on a 300+ mile day. This caused a significant drop in standings but I did qualify for the Perfect Mileage medallion.

I lost one mirror and a headlight nut. My American flag that made the 2016 Cannonball and this one as well suffered a broken pole and I zip tied it back together. I was glad I did not lose it. I broke a headlight and had a clutch begin to fail which caused starting problems. I bent one of the starting pedals into the engine when we hit the ground. My muffler is loose. And… I am sure there are three other things that I haven’t noticed yet.
    A couple of days into the ride I got the carburetor dialed in and Lucille ran like a scalded dog. Better than ever! I was able to cruise some days at 52 mph which is about 5 mph faster than normal.
    I am beat up, bruised, running on fumes, and suffering from a broken rib. This has been on great time! This is what it is all about – RIDE ON!
    Erik Bahl
    Huntsville

"Those are some fine P-nuts"

2004 R1150R
    1929 R63 OHV - 2014 Cannonball Run Entry #63
    1915 H-D Model 11F - 2016 and 2018 Cannonball Run

Well you have two years to recover. With so many high finishers do you think they will try to make it harder next time? Your buddy will be two years older maybe he will be able to take more pictures.
    Jim Dubick
    2010 R1200RT
    BMW MOAL

Congratulations Erik for a fantastic job...well done my man. I can only imagine how grueling the ride is not to mention the stress of having to keep it running....add in the physical pains from a get off and man that has to be tough!! Glad you are back, now rest up, heal up and ride on!
    Current Bikes
    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
    '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

[I]BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

Merry Christmas everyone. While we are riding we talk to a lot of people to include the news. This was just pointed out to me, interesting short video.

https://www.newscenter1.tv/old-iron-...annonball-run/
    Erik Bahl
    Huntsville

"Those are some fine P-nuts"

2004 R1150R
    1929 R63 OHV - 2014 Cannonball Run Entry #63
    1915 H-D Model 11F - 2016 and 2018 Cannonball Run