Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roll Call!

Nothing stays the same...The world and its contents are in a constant state of change.....go back 15 years and Facebook didn't exist! Perhaps we should issue "selfie-sticks" with our logo on them to all the millennia's who ride in our 3-4 state area, and/or advertise on Facebook?
    In the meantime I'm going riding!
    jb
    John B
    "I always wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific!"

Member: BMWMOAL Heart of Dixie Spyder Ryders
    Current rides: 1989 BMW K100RS ("Sally"), 2009 BMW R1200RT ("Silver"), 2015 Can Am Spyder F3-S ("Buster")

Quote Originally Posted by xwingnut View Post
    Nothing stays the same...The world and its contents are in a constant state of change.....go back 15 years and Facebook didn't exist! Perhaps we should issue "selfie-sticks" with our logo on them to all the millennia's who ride in our 3-4 state area, and/or advertise on Facebook?
    In the meantime I'm going riding!
    jb
    Twenty years ago there was no website either. If you wanted to know what everyone was up to you got on the bike and rode down to Jim & Nicks on Thursday night and cluttered the place with BMW bikes and ate outside on the front porch. In other words the club was very visible to anyone who rode by, like me, and I soon joined the fray.
    You had to be a club member and pay dues to cover the postage for the news letter so there was a large membership. Now you can look at the website and not bother being a member and paying that membership fee. So why would anyone bother? On EVERY Saturday you rode over to Venture and had coffee and donuts and then decided where to ride for lunch. In other words we have all become disconnected by being attached to social media like all those millennials instead of just getting off the couch and go get together anywhere. It's raining here this morning so I think I'll just sit here and bitch.
    Jim Dubick
    2010 R1200RT
    KLX 250/Big Bore 351
    BMW MOAL, BMW MOA

Fond reminiscing is not bitching, Jim...and it was good to see you at Cullman RTE....5 of us met for lunch last Friday (I know...that's a workday for most), and that was good. I look forward to more of that kind of thing as the weather moderates. jb
    John B
    "I always wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific!"

Member: BMWMOAL Heart of Dixie Spyder Ryders
    Current rides: 1989 BMW K100RS ("Sally"), 2009 BMW R1200RT ("Silver"), 2015 Can Am Spyder F3-S ("Buster")

Quote Originally Posted by jdubeemer View Post
    Twenty years ago there was no website either. If you wanted to know what everyone was up to you got on the bike and rode down to Jim & Nicks on Thursday night and cluttered the place with BMW bikes and ate outside on the front porch. In other words the club was very visible to anyone who rode by, like me, and I soon joined the fray.
    You had to be a club member and pay dues to cover the postage for the news letter so there was a large membership. Now you can look at the website and not bother being a member and paying that membership fee. So why would anyone bother? On EVERY Saturday you rode over to Venture and had coffee and donuts and then decided where to ride for lunch. In other words we have all become disconnected by being attached to social media like all those millennials instead of just getting off the couch and go get together anywhere. It's raining here this morning so I think I'll just sit here and bitch.
    Well stated Jim, and the Jim & Nick's get together surely were a lot of fun. As our membership has dwindled so have the local weekly get togethers. Hats off to Jack Goertz for keeping the Birmingham meet up alive for so long. Of course in the winter or "off" riding season it is harder to get those going. It would be fun to start that up again especially when the weather breaks. You are correct, a bunch of bikes gathered at a local spot is high profile and garners the attention of all around.

Also I believe the Second Saturday and pop up rides are critical to our survival in today's club world. with good communication and use of these new social media tools it should be easier than ever to get the word out to all the members about upcoming events. I hope we can increase the number of those type events this year too!

Is that BBQ I smell????
    Current Bikes
    '12 Yammiehaw WR250R "Slim"
    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"

Member;

BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga / MAC Alabama /Asheville BMW Riders/ AMA

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

Yep, Thursday nights are practically non-existent these days. Too bad, as Baja makes a mean hamburger, likes us, and has a great patio that could be set aside for us most Thursdays. Of course, BBQ is not an option. We've tried a few other places, and would love to see the more riders/bikes show up somewhere, anywhere!
    JGoertz
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE
    2015 BMW R1200RT

Friday nights in Huntsville are alive and well. But I must say, not many actually ride. Not going to if I am drinking, and it is still Happy Hour after a very long week. Still reminiscing, before Venture, there was Carlos Wilhite in Vinemont, near Cullman. That intersection in the middle of nowhere baffled the BMW regional folks, being the busiest shop in the southeast. There would always be a member to greet there on any Saturday.

Oh' what great memories Jeanne. This former Harley rider was welcomed so warmly there, that I knew I found my motorcycle family. Don't forget the the "free" pizza and beverages. Most of the time, that pizza cost a bundle because Carlos always had a good supply of farkles that I couldn't live without. Thanks for the memories.
    Bob Steber
    1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
    2007 K1200LT Traveler
    1976 R90s Odalisque