Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crash involving members on 4-15-17

Tim is in good spirits and said he is getting better daily. He is now preparing to work with the insurance company and feels certain his beautiful, new to him 1600 GT will be totaled.

This is a good time for us to consider how important our protective gear is. Tim was wearing an Aerostitch Roadcrafter (http://www.aerostich.com/men-s-roadc...iece-suit.html) and even-though he was thrown off his bike and slid across the both lanes of the road on his back and down a 20 ft (+ -) embankment, there wasn't a scratch on him nor were there broken bones. (I think his get off wasn't a high side landing) Of course, he also wore a good helmet, boots and gloves. Remember: DRESS FOR THE SLIDE AS WELL AS THE RIDE.
    Last edited by Bob; 04-18-2017 at 04:36 PM.
    Bob Steber
    1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
    2007 K1200LT Traveler
    1976 R90s Odalisque

How is everyone involved progressing? My thoughts are with all of you! Get well quickly
    JGoertz
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE
    2015 BMW R1200RT

Every day I think of all of them and hope for permanent wellness for them.
    jb
    John B
    "I always wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific!"

Member: BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, Heart of Dixie Spyder Ryders
    Current rides: 1989 BMW K100RS ("Sally"), 2009 BMW R1200RT ("Silver"), 2015 Can Am Spyder F3-S ("Buster")

I'm saddened to hear of this accident and glad all are on the mend.
    Greg and Melanie
    06 K1200LT
    05 VStrom 1000

2WANDRRs.com
    BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF, AMA

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for all the thoughts and well wishes from all the great club members. As a little update on our condition, Diana is continuing physical therapy on her fractured left wrist and has made a lot of progress. Her recovery was slowed initially due to having to have a second surgery in Birmingham to correct the first one she had in Huntsville. She continues to work on fully regaining the range of motion with her left arm and wrist which, although it has proven to be a time consuming effort, she has made substantial improvements. I seem to have fully recovered from my fractures at C4 and C7 and believe I will be able to avoid surgery with my ACL tear.

I cannot stress enough the importance of wearing good riding gear, especially helmets. I was wearing a modular Shoei which remained intact but Diana's modular Schuberth separated at the hinge where the chin guard portion attaches to the side of the helmet. I truly believe we would not be walking around today had we not had on very good gear. I did not have a scratch on my skin and Diana only had a very minor cut on her nose from her sunglasses. Both of our helmets took a pretty good beating as well as our jackets, pants and boots.

One other point I would like to pass along is to check your insurance for medical payments coverage and replacement of riding gear. With all of the health insurance changes in the last few years, medical payments coverage is more important now than ever before. Many health insurance companies have gone to high deductibles and co-pays to increase their profits. If that is the case with your carrier, $5,000 to $10,000 in med pay coverage would prevent those charges from coming out of your pocket. Some insurance companies such as St Farm will write motorcycle insurance policies but will not offer med pay coverage and others limit the amount of med pay available to you. Also, some companies offer coverage for riding apparel replacement and some do not. With the high cost of good riding gear, it can be very beneficial to have that coverage. My gear is intact just very dirty but someone at the hospital thought it necessary to cut Diana's riding gear off. So please take a few minutes and review your policies for those coverages as it might save you a lot of $$ in the event you are unfortunate enough to need it.

One last thought, hope you never have to transported in a helicopter due to injuries. Although we had coverage through BCBS for air medical services, it did not happen to be with the company that provided our transport, like we were in a position to verify that at the time. Let's just say that the medivac companies are very proud of their services and there is no agreement in place whereby they will accept the small amount BCBS determines they should be paid and not pursue the remaining amount of their charges.

Thanks again for all the kind words that have been posted. Hopefully we will be back riding in the near future. We both looked at new helmets over the weekend. :-)

Tommy
    Tommy Crawford
    2012 1600GTL
    2012 1200GS
    2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited

Tommy, this is great news,.

Thank you for reminding our club members of the importance of wearing good riding gear as well as having good insurance coverage. For sure, we must "dress for the slide as well as the ride". Seeing you and Diana laying on the ground among all of the debris and your mangled motorcycle, I thought you guys were severely injured. I'm am happily relieved that that isn't the case.
    Bob Steber
    1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
    2007 K1200LT Traveler
    1976 R90s Odalisque

Hey Tommy, great news! I too am very glad you guys are on the mend. I know it has been a long road for you guys and we wish you the best in your continued recovery. Take care and we hope to see you soon!
    Current Bikes
    '12 Yammiehaw WR250R "Slim"
    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"

Member;

BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga / MAC Alabama /Asheville BMW Riders/ AMA

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

I have never been so glad to see two folks as I was Tommy & Diana at the last RTE!! I hug them so hard I was afraid I hurt Diana
    Glad to hear y'all are mending up nicely, and DON'T DO THAT AGAIN!!
    Gail & Paul
    G650GS / KLR650 / R1200R
    IBA #23343 & 23344
    "Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason." Jerry Seinfield