Thread: Riding to Vermont!

Default Riding to Vermont!

JimR and I just returned from a 10-day trip to Vermont (Burlington) and back. 2740 miles, only about 20 miles of rain. We found some great roads (including some interstates w/o traffic!) As soon as I have some time, I'll post a few pics, but it will be a few days before I can find some down time!
    JGoertz
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE
    2015 BMW R1200RT

Looking forward to reading all about your trip Jack.
    Bob Steber
    1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
    2007 K1200LT Traveler
    1976 R90s Odalisque

Finally had time to go through a few pics and put together a short narrative.

On Tuesday, September 5th, fellow Alabeemer Jim Rasco and I headed out for Burlington, VT. Our goal -- be there by Friday night so that I could meet my wife (Susan) for our niece's wedding festivities. Secondary (or was it my primary?) goal was to find some great roads, stop by the Glenn Curtiss museum in Hammondsport, NY and the AMA Museum in Pickering, OH, and to have a great time! I'm happy to say we succeeded on all accounts.

The obligatory picture taken as we're ready to pull away from my garage.

IMG_0005 (800x600).jpg

Our route took us up US411 to Newport, TN, then up I-81 into New York. From there, we headed east along I-86 towards Albany. We were on a schedule, so pics weren't high on our list, but Thursday evening, we found this delightful inn somewhere east of Oneonta, NY. All that I remember about it's location is that it is on SR 7. Fortunately, it had a great little bar and restaurant attached to it, so we didn't have to search for food.
    IMG_20160909_072735482 (800x450).jpg
    IMG_20160909_072658963 (800x450).jpg

We arrived in Burlington, VT mid-afternoon on Friday, in plenty of time for me to clean up and make it to the rehearsal dinner. Jim took the opportunity for some downtime and watch a bit of TV. Saturday for him was spent watching football. The pic below was snapped Saturday. Behind Susan is a great view of Lake Champlaign.
    IMG_20160910_111537400 (800x450).jpg

After the wedding (Saturday night), I met up with Jim on Sunday for the trip back to AL. The weather had deteriorated Saturday evening, but the rain had ended before we left. Unfortunately, the wind was blowing about 45 miles an hour, and riding wasn't so fun. Oh, it was also a pleasant 50 degF (in the lee of the buildings. We had considered crossing over into Canada, but thought better of it because of the weather. It wouldn't have been fun waiting in line to cross the boarder with the wind and the cold weather. Instead, we rode around the north end of Lake Champlaign, got close enough to the Canadian boarder to see the boarder crossing, then picked up US11(!) at its northern terminus and headed into New York. We were glad to find this little diner out in the middle of nowhere. It appeared right at 12:00 noon. It was a good place to warm up and fill up and hope the wind would die down some!
    IMG_20160911_113852407_HDR (800x450).jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BamaBiker; 10-11-2016 at 09:33 PM.
    JGoertz
    2015 BMW R1200RT

The last picture in the previous post was taken on Monday, on our way to the Curtiss Museum. In the background you can see a local Amish couple and their horse and buggy. A nice juxtaposition of transportation modes.

From there, we went on to Hammondsport for lunch, then a visit to the Curtiss Museum. I'd had the Curtiss Museum on my bucket list for sometime. The Curtiss V8 made the visit worth it for me, but there was a whole lot more to see! Curtiss was into bicycles, motorcycles, airplanes, automobiles, and more! The museum, located at the southern tip of Lake Cannandaigua, is worth the $8 admission many times over.IMG_20160912_122845769 (800x450).jpgIMG_20160912_124229480 (800x450).jpgIMG_20160912_124039241 (800x450).jpgIMG_20160912_132023002_HDR (800x450).jpg
    JGoertz
    2015 BMW R1200RT

Leaving the Curtiss Museum, we hopped on I-86 so we could cover a bit of distance before stopping for the night. I'd like to thank the state of NY for building that beautiful interstate just for 2 motorcycles. I don't think we saw more than 1/2 dozen cars after we left Hammondsport until we arrived in Jamestown, NY, where we stopped for the evening.

The next morning (Tuesday) wasn't a whole of fun riding. It was our only day of all interstate riding, as we picked up I-90 in Erie, then hopped on I-71 for the run to Columbus so that we could stop at the AMA museum. I wanted to see the Hall of Fame exhibit, where a number of folks I've met over the years -- many I call my friends -- were honored. If you go, stop by the HOF exhibit and see the plaques and read the stories for George Barber and Brian Slark. These names should be familiar to anyone who loves motorcycling. Their stories tell why they're in the Hall, and they both deserve to be there.

IMG_20160913_145153081 (800x450).jpg
    IMG_20160913_145543702 (450x800).jpg

Once we left the museum, we were able to get off the interstate and head on south. We found some great roads in south OH. We crossed over into KY at Maysville on the old bridge, then stayed on backroads through KY to Bowling Green. From Bowling Green we followed US231 all the way through TN, and let me tell you, US231 moved up on my list of great roads! The TN portion had lots of twisties and not much traffic.

Once we hit Huntsville, we decided Interstates would be the fastest way home, and we headed south, arriving back in Birmingham about 3pm on Thursday, 10 days after leaving. As I mentioned at the start of the thread, we rode 9 of 10 days, covered 2740 miles (Jim did about 2840, as he lives in Northport). My RT averaged about 52 mpg for the entire trip. About 2/3 of the miles were on backroads. We only rode in the rain for about 20 miles on the second day as we were coming into Winchester, VA, our destination for Day 2. Other than the winds coming into Winchester and leaving Burlington, VT, I'd give the weather an A+.

I'm ready for the next trip. Wonder where we'll go next?
    JGoertz
    2015 BMW R1200RT

Great ride report Jack. Thanks for posting it.
    Bob Steber
    1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
    2007 K1200LT Traveler
    1976 R90s Odalisque

sounds like a great ride Jack. I rode right past the Curtiss Museum while up that way this summer for the MOA rally. Never had been to the Finger Lakes before...now I need to go back! Thanks for posting this!
    Current Bikes
    '12 Yammiehaw WR250R "Slim"
    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"

Member;

BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga / MAC Alabama /Asheville BMW Riders/ AMA

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

Yep, you need to go back! Not only is the Finger Lakes region a great area to ride, but the Curtiss Museum is one of those hidden jewels in the area. Not only are there lots of motorcycles there -- including the V8 -- there are also planes and automobiles there. Curtiss was a great inventor and businessman. Be sure to stop on your next trip up there.
    JGoertz
    2015 BMW R1200RT

The Vermont Rally was really one of the most memorable motorcycle trips Suzi and I ever made. We spent a lot of time riding around instead of hanging at the Rally. On the way there we also did the AMA museum as I had a high school friend that lived in Columbus at the time. We were on the LT pulling our Bunkhouse camper and going across northern New York we were passed on the interstate by Don Norwood pulling his converted horse trailer camper waving his Chicken Rally hat at us. Great memories.
    Jim Dubick
    2010 R1200RT
    KLX 250/Big Bore 351
    BMW MOAL, BMW MOA