Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: All Around Alabama???

Default All Around Alabama???

Many may recall the ride we have posted on our website called All Around Alabama. This is a great ride that circles the state going as close to the border as possible without crossing over. This is an awesome route that as I recall was laid out during the height of the ABEES days by Bob Steber and Martin Benson. I have ridden this route personally on two different occasions and it is a ton of fun and winds you through the varying geography of our great state. The gps routes for this ride are available for download from our website if you want to run it by yourself or at a different time.

I wanted to bring this to the forum to see who might be interested in riding the route this spring. It is not meant to be run as an Iron Butt style ride but rather as a tour. The route is about 1200 miles long and would require a bit of timing to make the ferry crossing at Dauphin Island and also an overnight hotel stop along the way. I would like to run this again myself so if you are interested in riding along, let me know. If we have a group of four or more we could plan this as an Alabama tour and set the trip for timing and the hotel stop.

My first tentative date will be Friday April 3 and Saturday April 4.....Who is interested?
    Current Bikes
    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
    '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

[I]BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

Hey Vance

All Around Alabama is indeed a fun and enjoyable tour. If it is attempted as a two day (one overnight) ride in early April starting at sunrise, you will ride a tad over two hours after sunset. It takes at about 14 hours (+/- one hour) to ride half way. Planning three days will allow you to enjoy the wonderful scenery for the entire trip. Also, there are several areas along the way that have heavy deer populations.

I'm working on an update for the various routes and should have them ready in time to take the tour.
    Bob Steber
    1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
    1976 R90s Odalisque

good point Bob. Both times I have done it I took two days but you do have to keep moving. Allowing three days would indeed allow for a more enjoyable tour. thanks for dusting off the routes I look forward to doing this epic ride once again!
    Current Bikes
    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
    '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

I do too which prompted me to update the routes. I've ridden it twice, clock and counter clockwise, and was amazed with the roads and scenery each time. I'm thinking the next time to take three days and enjoy it more by riding only about 450 miles a day plus the mileage to and from the start/end point.
    Last edited by R90srider; 02-18-2015 at 07:28 PM.
    Bob Steber
    1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
    1976 R90s Odalisque

The three day ride sounds better for us more mature riders. I have attached updated routes for the clockwise ride. These are done on the latest Garmin map update. The attached file is a gpd. Web site would not let me upload the gpx. I can email it if needed.

Attachment removed by poster request
    Martin Benson
    Alabaster, AL

2004 R1150R "Black Beauty"

----------
    For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16

thanks guys, I just downloaded the updated route with no problem...man that is a great ride! Now warm up so we can ride it! lol.....
    Last edited by Vance; 02-19-2015 at 08:06 AM.
    Current Bikes
    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
    '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

If you do it over three days, I might be game.
    Erik Bahl
    Huntsville

"Those are some fine P-nuts"

2004 R1150R
    1929 R63 OHV - 2014 Cannonball Run Entry #63
    1915 H-D Model 11F - 2016 and 2018 Cannonball Run

I think that is where we are headed with this. That April 3-4 weekend is Easter so if we were to keep it on that weekend I suggest we would start on Thursday and end up on Saturday. Or maybe pick another weekend but the calendar is getting slammed! Who would be interested in riding it....give us your thoughts....
    Current Bikes
    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
    '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

Is there any good food along this route?
    Jim Dubick
    2010 R1200RT
    BMW MOAL

hmmmm....can't remember ever missing a good meal on a ride like this...so, I think we are safe! lol
    Current Bikes
    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
    '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;