Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bound for Taos!

Made it back about 4:30pm today. Only rain on the return -- about 9 miles of light sprinkles as I was following the deluge as it passed through South Jeffco/North Shelby. 4018 miles. Great ride! I'll post a few pictures after I've downloaded them from the camera and reviewed them.
    JGoertz
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE
    2015 BMW R1200RT

Glad you had a safe ride home and looking forward to seeing some pics.
    Tommy Crawford
    2012 1600GTL
    2012 1200GS
    2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited

Finally had time to go through, resize, and select a few pictures of last September's trip to Las Vegas and back. On the way out, Jim Rasco (long time friend of mine & fellow Alabeemer from Northport), stopped in Taos for a "Triumphs in Taos" rally (even tho' we were both riding BMW's). After the Rally, Jim headed back to Alabama and I went on to Las Vegas for a Bicycle Dealers' show and convention. Even tho' the weather changed our plans a few times (floodwaters in AZ & NV said "Keep Moving!" and "Sorry, the Road is gone between LV & Brice Canyon"), it was still a great trip. Hope you enjoy some of the pics!

Packed and ready to leave. Perfect weather -- Perfect day for a bike ride. I'll meet Jim in Northport.
    Ready to Leave (800x600).jpg

On the second day, we stopped and toured the Santa Fe Museum, in NM, just before our only stint on the Interstate on the way to Taos.
    Santa Fe Trail Museum _ 4 (800x600).jpg

As we neared Taos, we went through Cimarron Canyon. Absolutely beautiful! And pictures won't ever do it justice.
    Cimarron Canyon NM _ 4 (800x600).jpg

Indians from the Taos Pueblo provided some authentic entertainment, then when they finished, they asked for a $10 donation, per picture!. I quit taking snapshots. Wouldn't have minded it so much if they had said they would be charging before they started dancing!
    Taos Indian Dancers _ 3 (640x480).jpg

The next day, we rode north from Taos, through Questa Canyon, on the way to Red River.
    Questa Canyon _ 1 (640x480).jpg

A shot of Jim and I in Red River. Tourists were everywhere!
    Red River NM _ 3 (640x480).jpg
    JGoertz
    2015 BMW R1200RT

Our last night in Taos was a BBQ on the patio. I managed to snap this photo of an Aspen, just minutes before the sky turned black and the heavens opened. Fortunately we had finished eating, as the patio was flooded w/about 4 inches of water in a just a manner of minutes!
    Calm before the storm in Taos (800x532).jpg

I was watching the weather as I headed west to Las Vegas, and didn't take any spectacular pictures until just south of LV. These next two are from the pull-out overlooking some of the Lake Mead Recreational areas. The second photo is proof I was actually there -- on my bike.
    Lake Mead Rec Area _1 (800x600).jpg
    Lake Mead Rec Area _3 (800x600).jpg

After the Dealer show, I took a few sidetrips on Route 66. First was lunch in Seligman, AZ. The first photo is a shot of "Old Town", and the second photo is of the Road Kill Café on Route 66! If given the opportunity, go across the highway and eat at the German restaurant. Much better food!
    Old Town Seligman AZ (800x600).jpg
    Roadkill Cafe Seligman AZ_2 (800x600).jpg

The next day, I detoured through Tucumcari, NM, and had lunch at Del's. I had eaten at Del's when I was about 14, and it's still good, maybe better!
    Dels Diner Route 66 (800x600).jpg

My final photo was of the Cadillac Ranch, just west of Amarillo, TX, on Route 66/I-40! It's definitely a "Must See" for all Route 66/I-40 travelers!
    Cadillac Ranch Amarillo TX (800x500).jpg

Speaking of Route 66 -- my suggestion is "Don't bother," at least through OK west to Kingman/Seligman, AZ. I know, that may be sacrilege to all the legions of fans of the Mother Road, but Route 66 between towns is a broken-up 2-lane road, just off the Interstate (okay, it does swing away from I-40 in a couple of places, and those sections may be more worthwhile), but you're mainly riding an access road w/bad pavement @ 55mph! My recommendation -- take I-40 between towns (except where Route 66 swings well away from the Interstate), and then take business I-40 (Old Route 66) through the towns. Doing this, you'll avoid the bad roads, and you'll see all the old sights/sounds that make Route 66 so nostalgic.
    JGoertz
    2015 BMW R1200RT

Great photos Jack. Thanks for posting.
    Bob Steber
    1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
    1976 R90s Odalisque

Great pictures Jack, and thank you for posting them. Gail
    Gail & Paul
    F700GS/ KLR650 / R1200R
    IBA #23343 & 23344
    "Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason." Jerry Seinfield

Looks like you had a great trip Jack. Thanks for sharing the pics with us.
    Tommy Crawford
    2012 1600GTL
    2012 1200GS
    2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited

Great photos and write-up about your ride to Taos. Thanks for posting.
    Bob Steber
    1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
    1976 R90s Odalisque