Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Birmingham BMW shop ???

Default Birmingham BMW shop ???

Where to go since the century plaza dealership tanked?

I think my '08 R1200R needs to be hooked up to diagnostics.

Chatanooga or Atlanta seem a little far to go, especially if the bike has to be left.

Thanks in advance - Bruce.

Huntsville dealership should be open any day now. Call Cycle Nation In Huntsville.

Called them yesterday. Their mechanic is finishing training and BMW is not able to get them 2015 inventory yet . . . So they said they are a month or two from officially opening. Said they don't have the BMW diagnostics yet.

Thanks for the heads up. I look fwd to them opening.

Quote Originally Posted by bhmav8r View Post
    Where to go since the century plaza dealership tanked?

I think my '08 R1200R needs to be hooked up to diagnostics.

Chatanooga or Atlanta seem a little far to go, especially if the bike has to be left.

Thanks in advance - Bruce.
    There is a shop in Leeds that works on BMWs. Call Bob Steber or Rodger Williamson. They both have had work done there.
    Jim Dubick
    2010 R1200RT
    BMW MOAL

There are 2 shops in Leeds -- A and G Motorsports & MotoAce. I had my F800ST serviced by Glen (the "G" in A and G) and was well satisfied with the price, care, and the fact it was ready when promised. Glen was at Red Mountain Motorsports and is a certified BMW & Triumph Mechanic. MotoAce also has two good mechanics. Kenny used to be at Barber's, and the other mechanic was at 29 Dreams when they had their shop there, IIRC. Give them both a call and see which one gives you the best warm fuzzy while talking to them.
    JGoertz
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE
    2015 BMW R1200RT

I spoke with the Huntsville shop by email today and they are not yet approved by BMW and will not have their mechanic trained for about a month.

David

David, I assume you know also that David Haynes has gone to work there for Cycle Nation? They are well on their way but as you said they are waiting on inventory and final sign offs from BMW.
    Current Bikes
    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
    '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

[I]BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

Paul & I went by there a couple weeks ago to check out the place. Lake Mills was the salesman that we talked to the most, and he seemed very cordial. We told him we were just looking around, but he talked to us for a long time and seemed very interested in getting into the BMW business. Their showroom is very nice with a large inventory of bikes. Time will tell, and I certainly don't want to be negative, but I'm not sure they know what BMW folks want, need, expect, in a dealer. Do they realize how many high $$ farkles they will need to stock? I saw no Touratech stuff nor were they even familiar with the brand . However, they seem to be interested in getting our business and at least they didn't lock the door on us! (Could only happen to me & Paul). I like the location, as it is a nice ride for us. Maybe it will work out well, and I wish them the best because they were very nice to us. We might as well be optimistic............I'm just sayin. Gail
    Gail & Paul
    G650GS / KLR650 / R1200R
    IBA #23343 & 23344
    "Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason." Jerry Seinfield

Very encouraging Gail. Thanks for the update.
    Bob Steber
    1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
    1976 R90s Odalisque

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    David, I assume you know also that David Haynes has gone to work there for Cycle Nation? They are well on their way but as you said they are waiting on inventory and final sign offs from BMW.
    "Sign-offs" ...

I'm beginning to think that BMW has become nearly impossible to work with from the dealer/vendor standpoint.

For several years I lived in Mississippi in the Hattiesburg area and was there when Hattiesburg Cycles picked up BMW (late 1990's). At that time HC was the largest volume seller of 4-wheelers in the US, and the Myatt family had provided 1st class service to Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki enthusiasts for years. They made an authentic effort to provide that same quality to the BMW riders.

The founder finally just called BMW and told them to come pick up their stuff and get it out of his showroom.

In all the years I rode Gold Wings and Suzuki's I never had the type of gremlins to deal with that I've had with the BMW's I've owned. I guess if it were not for the final drive failures, the surging issues, and other anomalies we read and hear about that I could understand the corporate hubris, but to date I can't see where BMW has earned the rights to the attitude.
    Last edited by basketcase; 08-27-2014 at 07:01 AM.
    '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match...