Thread: 600 + Miles To Visit Fatty

Default 600 + Miles To Visit Fatty

Paul & I rode down to Woodville, MS yesterday to eat lunch and to buy Fatty's Cracklins, which are the WORLDS BEST (no kidding ). And yes, I am a country girl. Prior to this trip we were down on Dauphin Island for lunch at Barnicle Bill's. 008.JPG002.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gail & Paul
    G650GS / KLR650 / R1200R
    IBA #23343 & 23344
    "Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason." Jerry Seinfield

Not familiar with the term "cracklins". I am guessing from the picture they are like the fried pork skins sold in gas stations. What makes theirs so special and how are they made? No, I'm not a "country boy". But I am like you in that it doesn't take much of a destination to make me want to ride.
    Jim Dubick
    2010 R1200RT
    BMW MOAL

Jim, the pork skins that you find in stores, and real cracklins are not the same. Fried pork skins are just that, fried pork skin. When they are deep fried they puff. Cracklins, on the other hand, are deep fried pieces of pork fat with some of the meat left on it. They are usually fried in their own fat or lard. After frying, they can be seasoned with salt & spices. Since they are pork fat, the cracklins tend to be softer than pork skins, and have a completely different texture. The term cracklins is often misused, as I have seen plain old pork skins sold in stores called cracklins. Unless you are familiar with killing hogs on a farm, you aren't likely to know the difference. Don't feel bad about not being in the know about this, as most people don't know the difference. The guy who owns Fatty's has won several Cracklin cooking competitions and they are more common in southern Miss., Louisiana, and eastern Texas where there are still "country folks". As you might guess, they are extremely bad for you and are considered soul food. I think they are to die for, but that's just me. If you and Susie are down that way, be sure to stop and buy a bag, as they need the business because most of their patrons are in ICU! Bet you wish you hadn't asked now. Gail
    Gail & Paul
    G650GS / KLR650 / R1200R
    IBA #23343 & 23344
    "Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason." Jerry Seinfield

No, I'm glad I asked. Been in Alabama for over 30 years and still finding out about stuff in the south. I hope they are still in business when we go to Cajun Chaos next year. Looks like Woodville is not much out of the way coming from here. Sounds deliciously decadent.
    Jim Dubick
    2010 R1200RT
    BMW MOAL

Default Ol Plantation

Quote Originally Posted by jdubeemer View Post
    No, I'm glad I asked. Been in Alabama for over 30 years and still finding out about stuff in the south. I hope they are still in business when we go to Cajun Chaos next year. Looks like Woodville is not much out of the way coming from here. Sounds deliciously decadent.
    Anyone remember the Ol Plantation BBQ in Bham and their Buster Special? Cracklin cornbread with pulled pork on top and a side of slaw. Their motto was "Yas suh, its cooked in da pit".

The difference between cracklins and fried pork skins is that cracklins will clog your ateries much much faster but it's real hard to eat just one--right Gail

Gator (an old CAJUN country boy)
    BoB

CURRENT BIKEs

2010 R 1200 GS
    2011 Suzuki DR 650

CLUB AFFILIATIONS
    BMWMOA, BMWMOAL,

Gator, I bought 5 bags and already down to two. Something has to kill you, so I'll die happy Gail
    Gail & Paul
    G650GS / KLR650 / R1200R
    IBA #23343 & 23344

Quote Originally Posted by Gail View Post
    Gator, I bought 5 bags and already down to two. Something has to kill you, so I'll die happy Gail
    Pace yourself Girl!!!!!
    Jim Dubick
    2010 R1200RT
    BMW MOAL

Quote Originally Posted by Gail View Post
    They don't call him Fatty for nothing, but they are hard to resist.

Gator
    BoB

CURRENT BIKEs

2010 R 1200 GS
    2011 Suzuki DR 650

CLUB AFFILIATIONS
    BMWMOA, BMWMOAL,

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Anyone remember the Ol Plantation BBQ in Bham and their Buster Special? Cracklin cornbread with pulled pork on top and a side of slaw. Their motto was "Yas suh, its cooked in da pit".
    I remember it well. I ate many good BBQ's there in the late 50's, early 60s.
    Jamie
    02 K1200lt
    82 R100RT