Thread: Historic Mentone Springs Hotel burns ...

Unhappy Historic Mentone Springs Hotel burns ...

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2014/03/...l_on_fire.html

By AL.com
    on March 01, 2014 at 9:46 PM, updated March 01, 2014 at 10:48 PM

MENTONE, Alabama - The Mentone Springs Hotel is on fire and an antique mall next door is also burning, AL.com news partner WHNT News 19 reports.

Cynthia Stinson, General Manager of the Mentone Inn, told WHNT around 8:15 p.m. Saturday that the hotel was fully engulfed in flames.

Witnesses told WHNT the antique mall next door, The White Elephant, has also caught fire and is a complete loss.

Officials haven't said yet how the fire started or if anyone was injured.

The Mentone Springs Hotel, built in 1884, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and was listed in The New York Times' "1,000 Places to Visit Before You Die," according to the hotel's website. It is one of Alabama's oldest hotels

Built in 1884 by Dr. Frank Caldwell of Pennsylvania, Caldwell named the hotel after Mentone in France after his daughter saw news reports of Queen Victoria visiting there. Caldwell's daughter suggested naming the place Mentone, which news items of the time said translated to "a musical mountain spring." Caldwell's daughter suggested giving the same name to this place "where a rippling mountain spring flowed."

Very sad to hear this. We have never stopped at the hotel but have passed ther quite a few times.

Gator
    BoB

CURRENT BIKEs

2010 R 1200 GS
    2011 Suzuki DR 650

CLUB AFFILIATIONS
    BMWMOA, BMWMOAL,

Thanks Rodger for posting this. This is a real shame. We have eaten there several times and were fortunate enough to have stayed there for a family reunion a few years ago. It was a grand place indeed.
    Current Bikes
    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
    '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

[I]BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

Hearing this story on the news the other morning saddened me. A few years ago Jill and I took our time riding back from the Sloppy Floyd weekend and stopped to have lunch on the porch of the Mentone Springs hotel. A regional guitarist named "Critter" was picking and playing and we struck up a conversation after lunch and bought one of his CD's he had for sale in his guitar case.

The food was fantastic and looked so good we took photos of our plates on the table before we dug in to eat.

I took time to look around inside and the staff allowed me to take photos of the historic interior finishes, furniture and architecture.

A tragic loss of a beautiful piece of our history. That's why we should always take the time to turn around and visit that place you "always wanted to." It may not be there by the time you get around to it.
    Chris Patterson
    MOA, MOAL, RA, AMA
    1992 K75 RT "Charley"
    2012 R1200 GS Adventure "Gustav"

My photos of Mentone Springs Hotel visit on the way back from Sloppy Floyd's in 2009.
    https://plus.google.com/photos/10562...79235813540401
    Chris Patterson
    MOA, MOAL, RA, AMA
    1992 K75 RT "Charley"
    2012 R1200 GS Adventure "Gustav"

Thanks for posting the pictures Chris. I now really wish we had stopped one of the times we passed by the hotel. Looks like we missed a great historic place.

Gator
    BoB

CURRENT BIKEs

2010 R 1200 GS
    2011 Suzuki DR 650

CLUB AFFILIATIONS
    BMWMOA, BMWMOAL,