Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Rockies in June

[QUOTE=colleysails;14480]In the twenty years I've been back on bikes, I've only had two items 'borrowed' and not returned. One was an Arai helmet, which I foolishly left on the handlebars of my bike, which was in the parking lot of the marina where I lived on a sailboat for five years. The other loss was a Gerbings liner, which I used on the winter rides back to Alabama from SW FL. Haven't a clue when or where it was 'borrowed,' but I replaced it with another brand Terry had in stock, and the connectors for the Gerbings gloves fit. I last used it on the ride to the club meeting at Bluesprings a couple of years ago, and both the jacket and the gloves will be with me when we do the June ride!

A wise decision indeed! The only thing I can think of that I have had motorcycle related that was "borrowed" and never returned was a high vis vest borrowed from me while at a meeting one night at the city hall! Left the helmet, left the jacket but took the vest?????
    Current Bikes
    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
    '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

[I]BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

Bob S. I'll not be able to make the saturday ride with Martin after all. We'll talk later re Gerbings jacket.
    Thanks again,
    jb
    John B
    "I always wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific!"

Current rides: 2017 BMW R1200RT

OK welcome.
    Bob Steber
    1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
    1991 R100GS The Bumblebee
    1976 R90s Odalisque

John, this trip sound like fun. Me and Jesse (K1200 LT) we went couple of years
    a go to Yellowstone and done much of the same itineray. There is a couple
    of roads in Wyoming that are not publish, but we just pick those on the
    atlas while in route from Grand Junction CO to Yellowstone.
    Going from Steam Boat CO and keep going north. I'll look at the map and
    get back to you.

Here we go: from Steamboat CO going west on Highway 40 till Vernal CO. North on 373 till cross on I80. Then catch the 191N. Breath taking views from ridge line getting close to Jackson Hole WY. No many gas stations along the way. If you have a GSA...... not to worry!

Thanks for your note "Adidas". While living in the Denver area, the route you suggest was followed, going to Yellowstone....thru Steamboat north to Yellowstone. Colorado offers some really great and interesting roads alright.
    jb
    John B
    "I always wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific!"

Quote Originally Posted by xwingnut View Post
    Sanford Colley and I are doing a 4500 mile ride to the Canadian Rockies and back in June and we're guessing there's some advice and "must-see" places that some of you may want to share, so we're asking for any input that will help make the trip the best it can be. Our timeline as of today is to leave Logan Martin Lake on June 1 and return 3 weeks later, with new memories created along the way. We've done some long trips before and manage to come home still speaking to each other, so expect this one to be the same!
    Although Sanford would be more inclined to tent camp some, my knee replacements prevent me from crawling around on the ground, so we'll likely do cheap motels...no 5 star lodging for us!

Planned sites along the way include:
    Badlands
    Mt Rushmore
    Yellowstone
    Kootenay NP
    Banff
    Jasper
    Mt Robson (highest peak in the Canadian Rockies)

All suggestions/input are appreciated.
    jb
    UPDATE MARCH 20: Original comment re "we'll likely stay in cheap motels..." is just laughable! After trying to get a room at Yellowstone Inn 5 months in advance and having difficulty with availability, we decided to depart from the normal way of not having reservations and get rooms along the way out. The days of the $50 motel room is GONE! Some of you already knew and will laugh at this, but room rates are running from $120 to $265 for 2-3 star lodging. Gotta go now and recalculate trip costs and buy a jar of peanut butter and sack of apples for meals! :-))
    jb
    John B

John, while the $50 rooms may not be around anymore there are still some reasonably priced rooms available. You jus have to find 'em and they won't be in the real "touristy" places. In June 2011 Wanda and I found resonablbly priced lodging and did not make any reservations. These were in places like Cody, Wy, Mount Rushmore are, Laramie,Wy. several places in Montana. Last year in July on the way to and from the MOA rally we found fairly reasonable rooms on the way back in Washington, British Columbia, Montana, And Utah, all without reservations and this was in peak tourist season in mid-July. On the way to the rally we had reservations in Jackson, Wy, Missoula, Mt, and West Glacier, Mt. I found them all by searching the web and call hotels. some will give you a better rate than advertised if you ask. Good luck.

Gator
    BoB

CURRENT BIKEs

2010 R 1200 GS
    2011 Suzuki DR 650

CLUB AFFILIATIONS
    BMWMOA, BMWMOAL,

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    John, while the $50 rooms may not be around anymore there are still some reasonably priced rooms available. You jus have to find 'em and they won't be in the real "touristy" places. In June 2011 Wanda and I found resonablbly priced lodging and did not make any reservations. These were in places like Cody, Wy, Mount Rushmore are, Laramie,Wy. several places in Montana. Last year in July on the way to and from the MOA rally we found fairly reasonable rooms on the way back in Washington, British Columbia, Montana, And Utah, all without reservations and this was in peak tourist season in mid-July. On the way to the rally we had reservations in Jackson, Wy, Missoula, Mt, and West Glacier, Mt. I found them all by searching the web and call hotels. some will give you a better rate than advertised if you ask. Good luck.

Gator
    Thanks Bob....would you consider being our travel agent?! Looks like you've done a good job finding inexpensive rooms. It seems that the short season in the Canadian Rockies is what's driving rates up.
    JB
    John B

John, if you're going up through Missoula, Mt. we stayed at the Guesthouse Inn, Shows as a 2-star hotel but really more like 3 or 4 star. Ask for Annie, a really nice lady who owns or manages the place. Very nice stay with great service. We did make a resrvation for there. Last July we stayed at the West Glacier Motel at West Glacier Village and I believe it was under $100.00. Not the Hilton but cozy and everything you need is within walking distance(restaurant, stores, Post Office, and it's at the gateway to Glacier NP. There are free shuttles that take you from Apgar Village up the Going to the Sun Road and back. In Jackson Hole last summer we did have a reservation at Motel 6 for one night, don't remember the price(I'm sure over $100.00) Right next to highwayy 22 which goes over the pass into Idaho. In 2008 two friends and I stayed one night at Grand Teton RV Park and Campground. We rented a small cabin (around $70.00). It's just east of Moran Junction on US 287 and has a great view of the Grand Tetons. Grand Teton NP and Yellowstone NP are within easy dayride distance round trip. Also about 20 miles from Jackson Hole. If I think of any more I'll post the info.

Gator
    Last edited by Gator; 03-20-2014 at 08:54 AM.
    BoB

CURRENT BIKEs

2010 R 1200 GS
    2011 Suzuki DR 650

CLUB AFFILIATIONS
    BMWMOA, BMWMOAL,