Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian Rockies in June

Default Canadian Rockies in June

Sanford Colley and I are doing a 4500 mile ride to the Canadian Rockies and back in June and we're guessing there's some advice and "must-see" places that some of you may want to share, so we're asking for any input that will help make the trip the best it can be. Our timeline as of today is to leave Logan Martin Lake on June 1 and return 3 weeks later, with new memories created along the way. We've done some long trips before and manage to come home still speaking to each other, so expect this one to be the same!
    Although Sanford would be more inclined to tent camp some, my knee replacements prevent me from crawling around on the ground, so we'll likely do cheap motels...no 5 star lodging for us!
    Planned sites along the way include:
    Badlands
    Mt Rushmore
    Yellowstone
    Kootenay NP
    Banff
    Jasper
    Mt Robson (highest peak in the Canadian Rockies)

All suggestions/input are appreciated.
    jb
    John B
    "I always wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific!"

Current rides: 2017 BMW R1200RT

sounds like a great trip John! ...I'm kind of jealous to be honest. You may have these spots in the plans but here are some of my suggestions....

When in the Badlands / Mt. Rushmore area: Museum in downtown Sturgis (you'll be safe from the mayhem at that time of year)Ride the Pigtrail near RushmoreVisit Devil's Tower Visit Red Lodge, MT for a beer on Main StreetRide Bear Tooth Pass and before you get to Cooke City ride the Chief Joseph Parkway toward Cody...end to end...stay in Cody if need be and then return on the Chief Joseph (it's different road in the other direction...all the curves go the opposite direction!) Enter Yellowstone there at Cooke City.

If you are crossing into Canada near Glacier NP be sure to check out Waterton Lakes NP just over the border. Jim Dubick has relatives that operate a fantastic restaurant there...we had a blast! Great hotels...We stayed in a great mom and pop there...I can get you all that info...Photo below

When riding up the Ice Fields Pkwy toward Jasper be sure to stop and catch your breath at a place called Bow Lake. This is a beautiful spot where the glacier comes into this lake and if it is a sunny day you will see an absolute postcard....it was magnificent!

Let me know if you need additional info on any of this!

IMGP0225.JPG
    Current Bikes
    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
    '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

[I]BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

Thanks for the quick reply Vance, and I will surely follow up with you on all this.
    jb
    John B
    "I always wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific!"

You and Sanford are in for a great ride and Vance gave you excellent suggestions. Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph Highway are way up on the top of my list for the best rides in the US. Also, while in Cody, go to the Buffalo Bill Museum and plan at least 2 hours there.

Another great ride is the 57 mile round trip loop out of Keystone, SD (Mt. Rushmore) to Needles Highway (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfmDgrCW_VA) south east to Custer State Parkís Wildlife Loop Road (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDIhQ1voVkY) then east to Iron Mountain Rd (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXFmghAzaVg) north back to Keystone. This run is also way up on my favorite ride list. If you have Garmin GPS mapping capability, let me know and Iíll send you the MapSource/Basecamp routes.

A little way north of the Bad Lands NP is Wall, SD and the famous Wall Drugs. Going there is definitely worth the time and is a good place to have lunch. I like the buffalo burger.

In Yellowstone, see if you can get reservations to stay in the old Old Faithful Lodge. It is spectacular and the food is good there too. Reservations are required far in advance of your arrival.

On you way to the Beartooth Pass and Yellowstone from Mt. Rushmore, I like to go via Spearfish Canyon, Spearfish, Deadwood, Devil's Tower and the Little Big Horn Battlefield.
    Last edited by R90srider; 01-31-2014 at 10:42 PM.
    Bob Steber
    1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
    1991 R100GS The Bumblebee
    1976 R90s Odalisque

Thanks Bob! When I lived in Denver, Sanford and I and another buddy did a ride up to Yellowstone and over Beartooth pass, and into Cody, spending the night there at an old hotel and watched the wild west shootout in the streets that night. I agree that it's absolutely beautiful and great riding. While I am familiar with who Chief Joseph was, memory fails me on whether we took the Chief Joseph Highway. Your links included in your email are much appreciated.

I do have GPS and would love to have the Basecamp routes.

John Beasley
    ph 256-592-9696
    John B

Welcome John.

I'll e-mail the BaseCamp route to you later today. It's best to make the Mt. Rushmore loop ride going to Needles Highway first, then the Wildlife Loop and lastly the Iron Mountain Road. At the north end of Iron Mountain Road you will ride through two tunnels, both perfectly framing Mt. Rushmore as you exit at the north exits. I'll also send the route I like to take when leaving Keystone going west. It will take you to Spearfish via Spearfish Canyon. I've also entered waypoints for the other places I suggested above.
    Last edited by R90srider; 02-01-2014 at 08:03 AM.
    Bob Steber
    1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
    1991 R100GS The Bumblebee
    1976 R90s Odalisque

Don't forget US 14 or 14A from I-90 west throught the Big Horn Mtns to Cody if open. On 14A is an ancient native American site (Medicine Wheel ) (also if accesible). The Cody Museum in Cody if you haven't been there is must. A nice detour off of US 89 north of St. Mary and Glacier NP is the Many Glacier Lodge west of Baab.There is also a campground at Many Glacier. We stayed at the Juniper hotel just off Trans-Canada 1 at Banf. It overlooks Banf from high above and great views from our room. On the Icefields Parkway stop at Athabasca falls south of Jasper(fantastic) From Jasper take Can. 16 west to 5S. to Kamloops. Anice loop would be 97 off of Can 1 to Vernon and Kelowna through wine country to Merit and back to Can 1. You can't go wrong no matter which road you take. Have a great trip. How early in June are y'all going? We may be driving through that area about the second week of June en-route back from Alaskan cruise. Have a great trip and ride safe.

Gator
    Last edited by Gator; 02-01-2014 at 01:42 PM.
    BoB

CURRENT BIKEs

2010 R 1200 GS
    2011 Suzuki DR 650

CLUB AFFILIATIONS
    BMWMOA, BMWMOAL,

The Restaurant in Waterton NP in Glacier on the Canadian side owned by my Niece and her Husband Steve and Debbie West is a must stop. Great buffalo steaks and burgers. And as I told Vance, tell them to send me the bill for desert. The name of the restaurant is TRAPPERS MOUNTAIN GRILL. Steve and Debbie live in Fort Myers in the winter and head back up when the snow melts enough to get the door open.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...k_Alberta.html
    Last edited by jdubeemer; 02-01-2014 at 02:03 PM.
    Jim Dubick
    2010 R1200RT
    BMW MOAL

Thanks Jim... I couldn't think of Steve & Debbie's name. Truly fine folks....Steve is a rider as well. He sent us to the hotel and that stop meeting them was one of our trip highlites for sure. It was not even on our radar but I am sure glad Jim tipped us off! Highly recommend it!
    Current Bikes
    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
    '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

[I]BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

My preferred route to Colorado is across the Texas panhandle through Amarillo, Albuquerque, Sante Fe, Taos, up to Durango then there are several routes north from there that are beautiful great riding. Either back east over Wolf Creek pass then up through Creed or over to Cortez and up through Telluride or straight up from Durango on the million dollar highway through Silverton and Ouray. I could spend my whole vacation in southwest CO. It certainly is much greater fun than up through St. Lewis and Omaha and across the Dakotas and you can still be right on course for Rushmore etc.
    Jim Dubick
    2010 R1200RT
    BMW MOAL