Thread: What to look for when buying an oilhead?

Default What to look for when buying an oilhead?

After a while away from BMW's I've spied a half-dozen oilheads within 250 miles of my home and might snag one during the winter months.

Any suggestions on what to know about, look or listen for, or otherwise be alert when looking at and test riding a potential purchase will be appreciated.

Merry Christmas to all, and thanks in advance for any insights on the oilheads,

Rick
    '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match...

The last time I was in Terry's shop in Pelham he had a nice looking R1200RT on consignment. He can educate you if you go down there and look at it.
    Jim Dubick
    2010 R1200RT
    BMW MOAL

[QUOTE=jdubeemer;14178]The last time I was in Terry's shop in Pelham he had a nice looking R1200RT on consignment. He can educate you if you go down there and look at it.[/

I know some of the history of that bike and wil be glad to talk with you about it if you like.

Tommy Crawford
    Tommy Crawford
    2012 1600GTL
    2012 1200GS
    2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited

Thanks for the feedback.

Since my initial post I snagged an R1100RT from a guy who was letting it turn into a neglected garage queen.

Besides Red Mountain (the BMW dealer), who are the capable BMW shops or wrenches in the Birmingham metro area?
    '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match...

Martin Benson
    Alabaster, AL

2004 R1150R "Black Beauty"

----------
    For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16

Thank you! I'll call them after they reopen from the holiday break.
    '00 R1100RT

Thanks again for the referral. Terry took great care of the service on the bike.
    '00 R1100RT