Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Bureaucracy and Fighting Back

Not exactly, but I did get a notice from DOT that they had revoked the tag for one of my vehicles because I had cancelled the insurance on it. It seems thay my good ol' independent insurance agent had reported it to DOT. According to them they are required by law to do so. The car was up for sale and had not been driven for a while so I saw no need for insurance. DOT would not accept that and said I would have to furnish proof that the car was not being driven. I finally amended the form to state that the car was being restored ('81 Model Accord). They said I would have to prove that the restoration was done to get the tag reissued. I told them I would send pictures. Hahahahahah.....

Of course I sold the car with out a tag.
    Jamie
    02 K1200lt
    82 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Bikebum View Post
    Not exactly, but I did get a notice from DOT that they had revoked the tag for one of my vehicles because I had cancelled the insurance on it. It seems thay my good ol' independent insurance agent had reported it to DOT. According to them they are required by law to do so. The car was up for sale and had not been driven for a while so I saw no need for insurance. DOT would not accept that and said I would have to furnish proof that the car was not being driven. I finally amended the form to state that the car was being restored ('81 Model Accord). They said I would have to prove that the restoration was done to get the tag reissued. I told them I would send pictures. Hahahahahah.....

Of course I sold the car with out a tag.
    I don't see how they can do that.
    The tag is about operating the motor vehicle on the roadway isn't it? You are innocent until proven guilty.
    DOT has to prove you were driving on the road. What a waste of time and efffort!
    I bet 15-20% of drivers don't even have a license. That is where they should concentrate their efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by TomGilbert View Post
    I got a letter in the mail from the state department of revenue? somebody, don't recall.

They stated that I had to go to their website and enter our insurance number for each of the vehicles that we own or they were going to suspend the vehicle tags. The web site was real sucky and I wasn't sure that it went through. Haven't heard back yet.

Yall ever heard of this?
    Tom, I think this is a new thing for the state in an attempt to make sure all of our state's safe and courteous drivers are also duly insured. I have had this request also on of my bikes. I went to the site and had no problems entering the required information that was available from the insurance card. If you did not get an error message it should be fine.
    Current Bikes
    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
    '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

[I]BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    Tom, I think this is a new thing for the state in an attempt to make sure all of our state's safe and courteous drivers are also duly insured. I have had this request also on of my bikes. I went to the site and had no problems entering the required information that was available from the insurance card. If you did not get an error message it should be fine.
    OK that's great. Thanks.

But I remember before the required insurance laws. You didn't have to have proof of insurance. There wasn't a problem. Did you know the fine for no insurance is $500? That is a lot of money to some people.

Insurance is a civil matter. It is a contract between an individual and the insurance co. to protect that individual against losses. Have a wreck? No insurance? As they say in Russia...Tuuf Shiishkii
    I think that the law is being used to lean on individuals in order to line the pockets of insurance companies as well as govt coffers.
    What say you?

You may be right Vance. I was ready to pull my hair out before I got all my vehicles tagged & titled. I felt there was a bunch of middle aged woman at the tag office that were on a power trip or something. Most of them had a different interpertation of what the rules where and how they should be applied. And boy if you challeged any of them on anything things got worse in a hurry. I have never had an experience like it before or since.
    Tim

2012 G650GS BMW
    2012 Harley FLHTCUSE7 Ultra Classic CVO

Quote Originally Posted by Wrong Way View Post
    I felt there was a bunch of middle aged woman at the tag office that were on a power trip or something. Most of them had a different interpertation of what the rules where and how they should be applied. And boy if you challeged any of them on anything things got worse in a hurry. I have never had an experience like it before or since.
    Hey Tim. You are asking for it now. Can't wait to hear the responses.
    Bob Steber
    1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
    1976 R90s Odalisque

Quote Originally Posted by R90Srider View Post
    Hey Tim. You are asking for it now. Can't wait to hear the responses.
    Tim is just saying what everybody else is afraid to say! Believe it or not, I agree with him! Sad but true, a lot of middle age women (not all), feel like they have something to prove. I have always prefered working with men rather than a bunch of bike biting, hateful women. I LIKE MEN! There is absolutely nothing worse. He is right about them acting like they have something to prove . There is nothing more hateful than a woman when she is like this, and it is to her own demise. I don't like them either! Gail
    Gail & Paul
    G650GS / KLR650 / R1200R
    IBA #23343 & 23344
    "Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason." Jerry Seinfield

The reason they have the glass partitions with the little holes that you talk through is to prevent you from pulling the nice ladies by their throats to your side of the counter where you can stomp the everliving **** out of them.
    Jamie
    02 K1200lt
    82 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Gail View Post
    bunch of bike biting, hateful women. Gail
    Ha, ha I said bike biting!
    Gail & Paul
    G650GS / KLR650 / R1200R
    IBA #23343 & 23344
    "Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason." Jerry Seinfield

Quote Originally Posted by Gail View Post
    Ha, ha I said bike biting!
    You got to it before I could post...how funny. I nearly spilled my milk.

I recently bought a motorcycle that had never been tagged or titled...don't sign the form on the wrong line! Can you say (you'll have to say it because I may not be able to spell it) "affadavit?"
    Stephen Pearce
    Pace, Florida
    2004 R1150R now broken
    1980 FLHC