Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Bureaucracy and Fighting Back

Jack, I would like to know about the Skyline Drive deal. Having been a victim of it (thats my story and I'm sticking to it!) I would REALLY like to know. I can only assume the real reason was to slow the bikes down. Ruined a great road in my opinion. Always thought that was illegal to create a dangerous road for motorcycles on purpose. Hmmm and I really thought that ridiculous tag fee I pay actually had some small part of maintaining the roads. If they are going to create a dangerous road on purpose the least they could do is give the m/cycles a tax break...yeah I know I ain't holdin' my breath either!
    Current Bikes
    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
    '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

[I]BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

Hi Jack.

I have some good news for you. The 32 miles of Cheaha Skyline is in good shape and a blast to ride. The Pigtrail, however, is rough as a cobb.

Now about the formerbeemeboy handle; hope you are shopping for another one and will soon be an X formerbeemerboy.

Bob
    Bob Steber
    1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
    1976 R90s Odalisque

You people just live in the roung county. When I go to the courthouse I am usualy greated with hi Don how is the family where is Kel now let me help you with that paper work you say that K1200GT is used what you reckon it's worth you say about $10,000. Small town living is great.

You are exactly right Don. There is something to be said about small town living. Clayton is a cool little town and seems very friendly.
    Jamie
    02 K1200lt
    82 R100RT

Bob, if they finally got the Skyline paved, that's great news! The last reports -- both personal observation & from others -- who've ridden it told me that there was still a lot of gravel on the edges, which, of course, works onto the main roadway. When I last rode it, I was throwing up so many rocks behind me (Bridgestone B020 tires) that no one could even get close to me. I was afraid a car would come up on me and I'd break his windshield, or hit one of my friends.

On your word, I'll go try it again soon, and see for myself how it is.

And as for the "Former Beemer Boy" moniker, that's the way it is for now. But you never know what's in store in the future. I can always crowd one more bike in the garage, or maybe I'll sell one and buy a different one, or .....
    JGoertz
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE
    2015 BMW R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    Jack, I would like to know about the Skyline Drive deal. Having been a victim of it (thats my story and I'm sticking to it!) I would REALLY like to know. I can only assume the real reason was to slow the bikes down. Ruined a great road in my opinion. Always thought that was illegal to create a dangerous road for motorcycles on purpose. Hmmm and I really thought that ridiculous tag fee I pay actually had some small part of maintaining the roads. If they are going to create a dangerous road on purpose the least they could do is give the m/cycles a tax break...yeah I know I ain't holdin' my breath either!
    Vance, Bob says the road is great these days (Skyline/AL281). I'll check it out for myself one of these days real soon and see. Too bad the Pigtrail (Cheaha road) is still crap. That's one of my favorite push-bike roads up the mountain!

When it (Skyline) was in terrible shape, I called the NE office of AL-DOT, wrote letters to the HMIC, even got quoted in the newspaper. I was told, essentially, that, even tho' AL281 was a state highway, it really wasn't. That AL-DOT considered it part of the park roads, and as such, they weren't responsible for maintenance. That it passed through 3 different counties, and no county was ponying up the funds to repave it properly. That we should be glad that it was even a hard surface these days, rather than a mud track up the mountain. That we shouldn't complain about it, just enjoy what we had. It wasn't going to change. So I wrote off what was one of the best roads/destinations in AL.

Shortly after you went over the side on 281, another friend of mine almost went off the side coming down the PigTrail. He hit his brakes to slow down on the first really sharp corner (after turning off 281 onto Cheaha Rd), hit some loose gravel in the turn, and slid off the road. He didn't lose it, but he had some serious creases in his saddle when he regained control and thought about what might have happened. And he claimed he was doing less than 20mph on the way down, too.
    JGoertz
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE
    2015 BMW R1200RT

Larry Camp, John Harper and I made the ride a few weeks ago and it was wonderful. At places, there is some gravel on the roadside, but no more than usual. I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you take your ride. Just in case you didn't know, Blue Ridge Road is open (may have to ride around barrier) from CR12 to the Skyway. Here is a route from Waldo (Old Mill Restaurant) to get to the lower base of the Skyway. Take care though, the 2 1/2 miles of Blue Ridge is rough but worth it. CR 12 is a fun road too.

WADO (Old Mill Restaurant) 0 your odometer Total Miles
    Get on Hwy 77 and drive southeast
    CR-209 6.0 mi
    Turn left onto Cr-209
    CR-12 (Clairmont Springs Rd) 9.4 mi
    Turn left onto Clairmont Springs Rd
    Turn left onto Blue Ridge Rd 16.4 mi

Ride around barricade if there 17.1 mi
    Skyway@Blue Ridge Turn right to US 78 19.2 mi
    Good place to take a break.

Bob
    Bob Steber
    1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
    1976 R90s Odalisque

Thumbs down Renewing Corporate Business License

Each year we have to renew our State Corporate License for the concrete business. We receive the letter of renewal from the state licensing board asking for their money but with instructions to contact the Sec. of State's office to get a certified letter stating we are still a corporation. If we weren't I wouldn't want to send the state money for a license. Anyway after about 3 days of trying to get through tothe Sec. State's office, you finally get through to be on hold for about an hour. Once you get one of our good civil servants they take your info and credit card number to charge the $5.00 for the certified letter, then they tell you there will be an additional $2.50 convenience charge -if they think this is convenient they can kiss my country a**. Once you receive their letter you can mail it all back to Montgomery with your cashiers check (they don't trust business checks) for the business license.
    No wonder to me it is difficult to get businesses to locate in Alabama without giving them half the state treasury.

Gary
    Charm and Mr. Congeniality

Quote Originally Posted by dixieoutlaw View Post
    Each year we have to renew our State Corporate License for the concrete business. We receive the letter of renewal from the state licensing board asking for their money but with instructions to contact the Sec. of State's office to get a certified letter stating we are still a corporation. If we weren't I wouldn't want to send the state money for a license. Anyway after about 3 days of trying to get through tothe Sec. State's office, you finally get through to be on hold for about an hour. Once you get one of our good civil servants they take your info and credit card number to charge the $5.00 for the certified letter, then they tell you there will be an additional $2.50 convenience charge -if they think this is convenient they can kiss my country a**. Once you receive their letter you can mail it all back to Montgomery with your cashiers check (they don't trust business checks) for the business license.
    No wonder to me it is difficult to get businesses to locate in Alabama without giving them half the state treasury.

Gary
    Amen brother! I too forgot about this one. I have to renew the contractors license each year as well. Sure is a lot of hassle as you say. Seems to me the rules and dates are a little different every year just to make it confusing. A real hassle but a necessary one. I have had to "show" that license a time or two. You may do the financial data but I have to pay the accountant to do that part for too! Yikes......
    Current Bikes
    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
    '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

[I]BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

Default Proof of insurance

I got a letter in the mail from the state department of revenue? somebody, don't recall.

They stated that I had to go to their website and enter our insurance number for each of the vehicles that we own or they were going to suspend the vehicle tags. The web site was real sucky and I wasn't sure that it went through. Haven't heard back yet.

Yall ever heard of this?