Thread: The Bureaucracy and Fighting Back

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Bureaucracy and Fighting Back

As most of you know by now, the Alabama State Troopers did not appreciate me trying to run away from Angie and her bold attempts to keep up with me. To lessen damage to our driving record we are going to appear before the Winston County judge next week and plead for an opportunity to go to remediate driving school. On this thought we decided we needed a copy of our sterling driving record to help our case. So on Thursday we went to the driver's licensing department at Limestone County to obtain a copy.

The bureaucracy part:

Limestone County Driver's Licensing Office can not issue a copy of the driving record, we would have to go the State Troopers office in Huntsville. We wer given the address (115a SW Church St.) and a mapquest strip map and told the office closed at 5:00 p.m. Drove to Huntsville and searched the 100 block of SW Church for about 20 minutes for the address. Finally parked and went into a municipal building and asked. Wer told the State Troopers office is on the north end of Church Street unsure of address. We find the office (1115a NW Church) and go into the office at 4:29 p.m. Told the receptionist what we wanted. We were told the desk which handles these request had already shut their computer down for the day. We explained we had driven 40 miles one way and told the office closed at 5:00. Basically we were told tough luck and come back another day. Angie asked to see the supervisor. Were told would do no good because there weren't going to start the computer back up to help us. These are our fine civil servants which we are taxed to give them good salaries to "help us." We picked up an application and took it home with us.

The fighting back part:

Noticed on the application they would accept charge cards, cashier checks, money orders or cash in person to pay the cost of $5.75 each. Have I got plan for them.
    We have a bag of pennies which have been accumulating around the house for a few months and need to get rid of them. Friday I rode back to Huntsville with $10 bill and 150 loose pennies in a sandwich bag. Turned in our applications and was told that would be $11.50. I handed the lady the $10 and the bag of pennies. She said they had never taken in pennies before and that she would have to take them to the bank on her lunch time. I just smiled. After receiving our drivers' records, she held up the pennies and frowned. I asked her if they weren't considered to be cash. She acknowledge that fact at which point I told her that her own application stated that cash would be accepted. She then told me that her supervisor would be unhappy because her having to go to the bank was inconvenient. I couldn't hold it any more so I told her, "Lady, let me tell you about being inconvenient. I drove 40 miles one way yesterday to do this and was sent to the wrong part of town by your agency. Then once I located this office you had shut down your computer 30 minutes early and would not serve us. That's inconvenient." She said she was just trying to be nice. I just smiled and left.

I know others have been hassled by our bureaucrats so let's hear your story. How about it Jamie or is that Ms. Jamie?

Gary
    Charm and Mr. Congeniality

I wanted to add a boat to my driverse license. I was told over the phone that since I was in the Coast Guard and had all the boating safety courses I did not have to take the written test. All I had to do was bring proof that I had these courses. I brought my DD214 which clearly stated that I had finished the Boating Safety and Boarding Officer schools. I was told at the drivers license office that a DD214 was not proof. The lady even called her supervisor who agreed with her. I have not fuigured out a way to get back, but I know if I can talk face to face with someone with half a brain and get them to look at the DD214 thay will see that it is proof. I feel that the DD214 is my most important document next to by Birth Certificate. The only time I remember using my Birth Certificate in the last 20 years was to get my Passport. Maybe the DD214 is the most important.
    Bill
    72 Honda CT90 (Orange Crush)

Gary, the reissuance of my Alabama Drivers Liscense as a female is just one of the many challenges that I have faced at the Courthouse.

Even though it was their mistake, they would not change it back without two letters of affidavit from separate doctors stating that I have had a sex change. After almost getting arrested (several times) for disorderly conduct by the deputy at the courthouse , I finally got the "nice" supervisor to get Montgomery Department of Public Safety to pull up my old liscense from the archives. Since it showed that I was male, and they did not have any letters on file to change it, then someone within the system had obviously violated the Alabama Code. At this time they decided the best route was to reissue my liscense as a male. And then...and then...told me I would have to pay $9.50 for the replacement. They promised that if I would stop yelling and screaming that they would waive the charges. (Almost got arrested again!)

I have many other equally interesting accounts of courthouse beaurocracy. Ask me sometime about trying to obtain a tag for a trailer that was purchased out of state. They never know how much tax to charge because their ad valorum database contains very few trailers and they will not accept the bill of sale as an indicator. Their closest reference may be a Winnebago with a similar name and your taxes may be a couple of hundred dollars - for a motorcycle trailer.

By the way, the little round holes in the glass partition is there to allow you to talk to the clerk but limit you from draging them over the counter where you can beat the crap out of them.
    Last edited by Bikebum; 12-09-2007 at 05:02 PM.
    Jamie
    02 K1200lt
    82 R100RT

Bill, I also had quite an experience at the Marine Safety place. Because of my birth date I was grandfathered as to testing so it would just be a matter of going by to get my DL updated. It took four trips because of very unusual hours of operation at the office but I finally battled through huddled masses and reached the lady that could fix it. Very courteous and knowledgable, she asked me for my Drivers Liscense, did the paper work, charged me $5.00 and handed me my paper work and my DL cut in half.

She said I would have to get it renewed so they could emboss the marine endorsement on it. Yep, had to wait in another line to get DL renewed to the tune of $9.50. My old DL was only two months old. This is our service center in action.

Wanna hear more? Just ask me around the next campfire. I even found out why they passed the law requiring marine endorsement. I know, you are thinking safety, but it was strictly about revenue.
    Last edited by Bikebum; 12-09-2007 at 04:30 PM.
    Jamie
    02 K1200lt
    82 R100RT

Thumbs down

I love it. Remember folks we are being taxed to pay the salaries of these bureaucrats for the fine service they are providing us. It's time we kicked 3/4 of them and their political bosses out on the street, but ain't gonna happen .

Let's hear from some of you others. Maybe if we get enough responses we can send them to Bob Riley and the directors of some of the departments.

Fight Back!

Gary
    Charm and Mr. Congeniality

Don't even get me started. I recently moved into the state from GA with 5 motorcycles, a Jeep Liberty, a F150 Ford pickup, and a Winnebago MH. It took me over 6 months to get the titles switched over and plates purchased. Most of the vehicles were registered through the Eight Mile Tag office in Mobile County. Every person that worked there had a different interpetation of what the rules were. All bikes had to be brought down one at a time for inspection. I only prayed each time I went that I would get the same woman, which almost never happened. It was a real trip.
    Tim

2012 G650GS BMW
    2012 Harley FLHTCUSE7 Ultra Classic CVO