Thread: F650GS Coolant Question

Default F650GS Coolant Question

Just acquired a F650GS. Not sure when the coolant was changed last. What do the other 650 people use for coolant? I know most automotive coolant has silicone in it and that can be bad on motorcycle internal parts. Looking for suggestions.
    Bill
    72 Honda CT90 (Orange Crush)

Bill, I have had several of those bikes and come to think of it, I don't think I have ever changed coolant or even added any make-up coolant. You might want to check out f650.com (The Chain Gang)...I bet you'll find some good info....

BTW....welcome back to the Chain Gang!
    Current Bikes
    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
    '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

[I]BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

Suzi's F650CS Maintenance instructions says change the coolant every two years. It also says to use a "name brand" long life antifreeze and corrosion inhibitor. Use only nitrite-free antifreeze and corrosion inhibitor. When they say "name brand" does that mean BMW brand? I wouldn't think so. I think the nitrite free statement is to protect aluminum cylinders from corrosion.
    Jim Dubick
    2010 R1200RT
    BMW MOAL

This one says every two years also. It looks pretty clean, but I don't know how long since it was changed. Couldn't hurt.
    Bill
    72 Honda CT90 (Orange Crush)