Thread: Hard shifts into second, better in third and smooth into fifth and sixth.

Thumbs up Hard shifts into second, better in third and smooth into fifth and sixth.

Hey folks. Question. Has there been problems with the K 1200 GT 2006 with hard shifts? I bought the bike used and the dealer said you had to get used to "how to shift" and "birp the throttle" when shifting. It doesnt help. Sometimes not so bad and others worse. This is not my first rodeo. This can't be normal. Can I get a little help. With a "as is, no warranty" I break out in sweats thinking about paying to fix this. I don't want to mention the BMW dealer because it probably wouldn't help but it sure makes me wonder.

My (new to me) 2005 1200RT clunks down into first pretty hard, upshifts the same in to 2, think isn't too bad, and 4th, 5th and 6th are almost unnoticeable because of their smoothness. Not really worried about it, but just not what I'm used to.

I finally figure out how to shift the RT. I was just lumbering through the gears like on V-twins that I've had, but realized you are expected to really accelerate through the gears on the BMW. When you really wind them out, the shifting is smooth a silk. It was complete operator error.

There are a lot of posts on the K1600 Forum from riders complaining about a "drive line lash" or "clunk" when shifting. They are simply not shifting properly. When I first got mine I discovered that you have to shift with very little clutch disengagement and very little throttle movement. If you fully close the throttle and pull the clutch lever fully in you will experience a rough shift. However, if you barely move the clutch lever and the throttle, all you notice is a change in the tone of the engine as it accelerates. It is by far the smoothest bike I have ever ridden...and I have been on a lot of them in 46 years of riding.
    Tommy Crawford
    2012 1600GTL
    2012 1200GS
    2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited

Plan on trying out one of the K16's sometime soon.

If you ride one you will definitely want one.
    Tommy Crawford
    2012 1600GTL
    2012 1200GS
    2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    If you ride one you will definitely want one.
    Except if you are long legged.
    Jim Dubick
    2010 R1200RT
    BMW MOAL

I definitely don't have that issue. The RT is pushing the height for me.

I had really been looking for a pre-2006 K1200GT, when I ended up with the RT. I loved the almost linear power band of the GT.