Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Mapsource

On a StreetPilot 2720, at main menu touch "Where to", then touch "My locations", then touch "Coordinates", then touch "Enter Position" then enter coordinates. To save it touch "Add as favorite".

By the way, the west coordinate must begin with 0, example: W087 35.817.

It looks like that location is Highway 5 and Highway 278 at Natural Bridge.
    Jamie
    02 K1200lt
    82 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Bikebum View Post
    On a StreetPilot 2720, at main menu touch "Where to", then touch "My locations", then touch "Coordinates", then touch "Enter Position" then enter coordinates. To save it touch "Add as favorite".

And the winner is: Natural Bridge

Hey I just got back from outside again, I going to catch a cold ... but I figured out a way...but yours is easier... I going back to try it... For some reason I don't see Coordinates on my menu....

but, I saved my location as a favorite, then I went to advance edit and changed just what I saved to the new coordinates and named it... and then it found it...

Going back outside to try your method...

Thanks.... ya'll , be back in a minute..

Don
    Don G Norwood

2011 R1200GSA Radio Flyer III with DMC sidecar
    1975 R90/6 w/Velorex sidecar -Sold to a good home
    2015 G650GS, 1998 1200C.

Click here for more infomation FIRST SATURDAY IN DECEMBER

"The Bike may have got us together, but the friendships will keep us together"

Hey Jamie, back again... the problem is I don't have the "Coordinates" tab

On this 2720, "Where to" .."MY Locations" I get "Favorites" and "Custom POIs" just two choices...

Now I can touch "my locations" then select an ole waypoint, advance edit and change to the waypoint I am looking for, rename it and that will work.

Looks like a call to Garmin support or could it be that I don't have any custom POIs loaded in the unit now and coordinates is "turned off"???

If I have all the components with me I will try and load some POIs and see that makes a difference...

Thanks ya'll
    Last edited by Norwood; 11-22-2007 at 08:14 PM.
    Don G Norwood

2015 G650GS, 1998 1200C.

All of this discussion got me wondering why I can't enter a coordinates on my lap top Map Source program. I have only a SP III plus color map with Map Source version 6.12.4 on my lap top. I'm pretty sure I used to be able to enter a coordinates on this program and transfer it to my GPS. I've opened every pull down menu and explored every tab and can't figure out how to do that.
    Tim

2012 G650GS BMW
    2012 Harley FLHTCUSE7 Ultra Classic CVO

Sorry to bother everyone with this. After I made the previous post I decided to look for any Map Source updates. There was one Version 6.14.5. I downloaded and installed that then decided to have another look. In the "View" pull down menu it has a choice called enter position. I think that will do it for me. May have been there before but I didn't see it. But then again I'm getting old.
    Tim

2012 G650GS BMW
    2012 Harley FLHTCUSE7 Ultra Classic CVO

Quote Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
    Hey Jamie, back again... the problem is I don't have the "Coordinates" tab

On this 2720, "Where to" .."MY Locations" I get "Favorites" and "Custom POIs" just two choices...

Now I can touch "my locations" then select an ole waypoint, advance edit and change to the waypoint I am looking for, rename it and that will work.

Looks like a call to Garmin support or could it be that I don't have any custom POIs loaded in the unit now and coordinates is "turned off"???

If I have all the components with me I will try and load some POIs and see that makes a difference...

Thanks ya'll
    Don, on the menu screen press "Settings", "About", "StreetPilot" to see what version firmware you are running; Mine is 7.10. You can update the firmware (no cost) from Garmin to get some nice features such a QWERTY keyboard and others.
    Jamie
    02 K1200lt
    82 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Wrong Way View Post
    Sorry to bother everyone with this. After I made the previous post I decided to look for any Map Source updates. There was one Version 6.14.5. I downloaded and installed that then decided to have another look. In the "View" pull down menu it has a choice called enter position. I think that will do it for me. May have been there before but I didn't see it. But then again I'm getting old.
    Tim, it's not Mapsource that you need to update but the GPS unit firmware. Go to this page to find the latest update for your unit:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/blosp.jsp
    Jamie
    02 K1200lt
    82 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Wrong Way View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tim, it's not Mapsource that you need to update but the GPS unit firmware. Go to this page to find the latest update for your unit:

[url
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/blosp.jsp[/url]
    Try: FIND PLACES...then... PREFEERENCES then POSITION....
    Don G Norwood

2015 G650GS, 1998 1200C.

Don, on the menu screen press "Settings", "About", "StreetPilot" to see what version firmware you are running; Mine is 7.10. You can update the firmware (no cost) from Garmin to get some nice features such a QWERTY keyboard and others.
    Jamie, going to do that, I am in Alabama for a couple weeks, getting ready for Children home ride and for holidays...but all my Garmin attachments are in Chattanooga home... but heck, I got used to using the thing without that...but I am going to update... putting in addresses works find.. just never could put in the coordinates from a prompt menu. I'll get that installed before my next long ride, which will be the Stagecoach Ride In in Stocklton Alabama, I am going to do 100 out of NW GA down the GA line over to 49 to 29 to Bay Minette.

Enjoying our Garmin session....
    Don G Norwood

2015 G650GS, 1998 1200C.

Default GPS with internal battery

Early on in this thread, the question was asked on recommendations for a GPS,purchase. What ever brand or unit within brands, I would recommend purchasing a unit with an internal battery -preferrabaly rechargeable). I like to take my unit off the bike and take into the tent or a resturant to do some quick planning, alos been know to take it with me in a friend or family members when I ride in to visit with them.
    I know some of the Garmin streepilot series only operate from the vehicle battery - my brother has a 2620 or 2720 that is this way and the only way to show him something on it is to go sit in the car. I suspect Norwood's is the same way since he has been freezing his buns sitting in the garage trying to sort some GPS issues. I like doing this in th cozy den.
    another benefit of an internal battery is taking the thing for a walk if you break down and since I ride some off road - this is a big plus.
    While at it I think I will start another thread on GPS tips and questions.

Gary
    Charm and Mr. Congeniality