Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need info on riding in temps below freezing

I rode my LT that I purchased back in Nov 05 from Rhode Island to VT. It was in the 20s the entire time. No heated clothing was necessary behind the LT but I used the heated seat and the grips, both on HI. I layered clothing as discussed but made it as thin as possible so that I could still turn my head and such. The balaclava is critical as Vance and Gail have stated. Keep your neck warm and all will be okay.

I never worry about temps as long as the road is dry.

Unhappy

Thanks all for all the good advice. I have never heard the term glass point. What is this referring to? The morning riding has been great with temps in the high 20's without problems. I'm just always interested in riders ideas about tires in contact with asphalt and upright motorcycles.
    Greg and Melanie
    06 K1200LT
    05 VStrom 1000
    02 VStrom 1000 (in Germany)

2WANDRRs.com
    BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF, AMA

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE

also called glass transition temperature, the temp @ which rubber looses the elastic characteristics that allow them stick to the road. Winter car tires are made with softer rubber than summer. Google for details.
    Jeanne

Thumbs up The #1 cold weather riding tip ...

The Number One Cold Weather Riding Tip I can offer for somone who does not have speciffic cold weather riding gear - is to block the wind as best as possible from seeping through your clothing. If you have any leather gear, - that is basically wind proof. If you don't have a leather jacket or pants or chaps, - put your rain gear on. Once you stop the cold air from permeating through whatever your bundled up in, - then you will only have to deal with the actual temperature and not the wind chill of riding in cold weather at 65 +/- mph road speeds. You can get a wind chill estimate at http://www.ridemyown.com/windchill.shtml ... For example if the real temp is 29 deg. and you will be riding at 65 mph, the wind chill will be only 8 deg. !!!

I rode the backroads for two hours last week on Thursday morning from 6 to 8 am headed to Tuscaloosa on the GSA. Temps were from 35 to 41 degrees, mostly in the shade due to the type of roads I was on. I did it for a learning experience. Helmet fogging was a problem except with fully opened vents (yes, lots of tears!). I'll look up Don's suggestion of a "Pinlock." Also, worst part was eventually numb hands. Even with the grip warmers on high my fingers were numb after about an hour or so. Heated gloves will be on my shopping list. And a balaclava. It paid off though later. When I left to head back temps were in low sixties...Perfect!
    Chris Patterson
    MOA, MOAL, RA, AMA
    1992 K75 RT "Charley"
    2012 R1200 GS Adventure "Gustav"

Quote Originally Posted by cpannarbor View Post
    I rode the backroads for two hours last week on Thursday morning from 6 to 8 am headed to Tuscaloosa on the GSA. Temps were from 35 to 41 degrees, mostly in the shade due to the type of roads I was on. I did it for a learning experience. Helmet fogging was a problem except with fully opened vents (yes, lots of tears!). I'll look up Don's suggestion of a "Pinlock." Also, worst part was eventually numb hands. Even with the grip warmers on high my fingers were numb after about an hour or so. Heated gloves will be on my shopping list. And a balaclava. It paid off though later. When I left to head back temps were in low sixties...Perfect!
    Chris, your GSA should have the high profile wind guards for the grips...if not that will help.

Gloves, riding in all day cold ....then heated gloves is the ticket.... however riding like you described you may wish to carry two pair gloves ...winter glovers and summer gloves... or invest in pair that will change with the temps... such as these .... http://www.leeparksdesign.com/ I have owned a pair of these for years... the thin inner liner is the secret as you can read...if you should buy...get the exact size... they tend to expand with time...

Warmth and cool plus protection...all natural material without any metal inserts (if you fall hard, the metal will cut) or other protective material inserts will melt and burn during a slide... I just witness two crashes in my Peru trip... got a greater appreciation for proper gear in low and high side crashes.

Hope this helps...just my two cents worth.
    Last edited by Norwood; 04-16-2012 at 11:18 AM.
    Don G Norwood

2011 R1200GSA Radio Flyer III with DMC sidecar
    1975 R90/6 w/Velorex sidecar -Sold to a good home
    2015 G650GS, 1998 1200C.

Click here for more infomation FIRST SATURDAY IN DECEMBER

"The Bike may have got us together, but the friendships will keep us together"

Thanks for the info Don. I have the high guards on the grips, but my gloves are neither heated nor insulated. They are a Cortec armored gauntlet glove that does well in the cold up to a point. If I had been out for even an hour at 35 degrees i would have been okay, but that second hour was brutal. To make matters worse I have a screw in my left middle finger and very little circulation. I am unable to flex the hand completely to warm things up. I will check out your link on the gloves you recommend.
    Thank you again for the advice.
    Chris Patterson
    MOA, MOAL, RA, AMA
    1992 K75 RT "Charley"

As I rode from NW Alabama to Chattanooga today in the rain, another tip that many use came to mind.

When riding in cold or wet weather...take a coffee or bathroom break and place your gloves over the cylinders on the boxer engine... on the GSA, the fuel tank acts as rain barrier and hold the heat in .... in about 10 to 15 minutes your gloves are nice and warm to continue on...

Hope this helps...
    Don G Norwood

2011 R1200GSA Radio Flyer III with DMC sidecar
    1975 R90/6 w/Velorex sidecar -Sold to a good home
    2015 G650GS, 1998 1200C.

Click here for more infomation FIRST SATURDAY IN DECEMBER

"The Bike may have got us together, but the friendships will keep us together"

Don, that is another great suggestion. Mmmm....toasty warm gloves when you need them most!
    Chris Patterson
    MOA, MOAL, RA, AMA
    1992 K75 RT "Charley"