Thread: Need info on riding in temps below freezing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Need info on riding in temps below freezing

I have a question for my more experienced cold weather riding friends. When do you get cautious about riding in cold weather. Tomorrow I have to go to the hospital at 5am and temps should be upper 20's. Need advice!
    Greg and Melanie
    06 K1200LT
    05 VStrom 1000
    02 VStrom 1000 (in Germany)

2WANDRRs.com
    BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF, AMA

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE

Take the truck!
    Last edited by jdubeemer; 11-28-2011 at 07:13 PM.
    Jim Dubick
    2010 R1200RT
    BMW MOAL

I ride (with electric clothes/gloves) in temps down to about 20 degF, BUT NOT WHEN THE ROADS ARE WET! Then I stay home or take the car/truck! When the roads are dry, I ride, but I pay special attention to shady areas that may hide icy patches.

Whatever/however you choose to go -- be careful and watch for icy patches.
    JGoertz
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE
    2015 BMW R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by jdubeemer View Post
    Take the truck!
    Well, other than that (which IS very god advice indeed!) if you do not have heated gear, then layers will do the trick. Layer...layer...layer. Depending on how far you have to travel other preparations should include the best gloves you have, maybe some type pf liner glove even if it is a pair of jersey gloves, a balaclava and the will to grin and bear it. Be aware and pay attention to keep from getting too cold....your hands will likely go numb first. You will certainly need them...after you get to work!
    Also be aware that your shield will fog if you don't have a fog free shield. So you may need to "vent" your shield to the first notch opening. If that is the case, then be ready for your eyes to water!
    All of this may sound really bad...it is not all that bad if you prepare. Like other gear it may take a few times to determine how to prepare and react to what happens.
    But remember...it IS about the ride! Good luck, be careful and let us know how it goes!!
    Current Bikes
    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
    '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

[I]BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

Good advise, all. Additionally, make sure that your riding jacket is tightly fastened around your neck and wrists to prevent the cold air form flowing into your inner clothing.
    Bob Steber
    1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
    1976 R90s Odalisque

Hippo Hands or the like really help keep your hands from getting numb. I finally decided not ride when it gets down to 20 or below though.

Good advice from all.... my 2 cents worth....

Caution for Black Ice.... Black ice is a dangerous wintertime hazard because the icy road may not always be visible to the rider. Indeed, melted snow or ice that refreezes may still look deceivingly like a dry road. And temperatures don't have to be below freezing for black ice to develop. Black ice can occur if temperatures are near the freezing mark--or even a few degrees above it. (many articles on Black Ice)

Caution near large trucks: If they have traveled in ice and snow conditions, large pieces can fall from anywhere on or under the truck at any time...sometimes large sheets of ice or snow...kinda like the mattress coming out of the pickup truck on moving day.

Get a PinLock insert for your faceshield..that way you can close your face shield, stay warmer and no fog...it really works... mine works great...on the coldest morning my breath will not fog the shield...amazing addition to your helmet.

Of course heated gear as mentioned is a must....a thin longsleeve turtle neck under shirt is best with a jacket liner...you want the warmth from the jacket...to reach you...while a bulky sweatshirt will block the warmth.

Hope this helps... ride safe...stay warm!
    Don G Norwood

2011 R1200GSA Radio Flyer III with DMC sidecar
    1975 R90/6 w/Velorex sidecar -Sold to a good home
    2015 G650GS, 1998 1200C.

Click here for more infomation FIRST SATURDAY IN DECEMBER

"The Bike may have got us together, but the friendships will keep us together"