Thread: 2001 k1200lt first bmw questions

Default 2001 k1200lt first bmw questions

First I need a good BMW repair person in Madison or Huntsville Al.
    Second I am having some questions .
    Speedo wont work at first then it starts jumping. I think It is a short. Any ideas ??
    Temp gauge at riding is at about 55%, Then at a light will go as high as 80% until fan kicks on and will bring it back down to 55%. Is this normal?
    I have some hesitation at about 2500 Rpms. Thinking I might need to have the fuel injectors look at. I dont know....

Thanks in advance for your help.

Frank

Hi Frank,

Welcome to the forum. I can recommend a great BMW mechanic in Huntsville. His name is Les Willey. Email me and I'll send contact information. He can work on anything but specializes in BMW bikes. On my K1200RS he has performed regular maintenance including a brake flush and he replaced my clutch a couple of years ago.
    Steve Schuckman
    2002 K1200RS Ice Blue/Marrakesh
    2015 Mercedes SLK350

Hi Frank. Welcome to our club's forums.

While waiting for a light to change, especially in hot weather, it is normal for your water temp to rise almost to the red indicator until the fan swithches on.

Add "Red Line Fuel Injecter Cleaner" to your fuel (follow directiond on the bottle). It is great stuff and has fixed the hesitation problem for me on several occasions. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...el%2Caps%2C302. If you are in the Birmingham area, Terry Ware at Terry's Two Wheel Tire and Tune carries Red Line products. He is an excellent BMW wrench also.

I can't help you with your odometer problem except to say that I agree with Steve when he recommends Les.
    Last edited by R90srider; 07-16-2012 at 08:29 AM.
    Bob Steber
    1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
    1976 R90s Odalisque

I am not sure how to E-mail you directly. So If this is not good enough let me know

Frank

Frank, pull the small fairing piece under the passenger seat on the right side. You will see where the wire from the speed sensor is zip tied to the metal fitting on the front end of the rubber brake line from the rear brake. The flared end of the metal fitting cuts through the wire there. Cut away the insulation, splice the wire, and re-insulate it. Put a piece of split rubber tubing around the repair so the fitting will not cut through it again.

The reason it is jumpy is because that is right where the wire bends when the rear suspension goes up and down.
    Jamie
    02 K1200lt
    82 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by fcott1 View Post
    I am not sure how to E-mail you directly. So If this is not good enough let me know

Frank
    I have sent the info to you via email.
    Steve Schuckman
    2002 K1200RS Ice Blue/Marrakesh
    2015 Mercedes SLK350

Quote Originally Posted by Bikebum View Post
    Frank, pull the small fairing piece under the passenger seat on the right side. You will see where the wire from the speed sensor is zip tied to the metal fitting on the front end of the rubber brake line from the rear brake. The flared end of the metal fitting cuts through the wire there. Cut away the insulation, splice the wire, and re-insulate it. Put a piece of split rubber tubing around the repair so the fitting will not cut through it again.

The reason it is jumpy is because that is right where the wire bends when the rear suspension goes up and down.
    Thanks
    that is what it was. Thanks
    Frank

A fantastic BMW guru is Chris Hand (Hand's Motorsports) in Jasper, Alabama. 205.221.5888