Thread: Valves for oil heads

Default Valves for oil heads

I have a 2002 R1150RT. I recently installed a 2 brothers M2 exhaust system on it. I'm getting some popping on releasing the throttle. I was thinking my valves needs to be adjusted better but wasn't sure plus it was time to do them. I did adjust them this weekend and notice while doing the valves that left side the lifters were loose so the feeler gauge can be inserted when at TDC the righ side was not. I'm wondering if both should be the same or is there a degree difference between sides? Since the adjustment the popping has decreased but not gone. My exhaust eliminated the cat so I'm just running a straight pipe to the muffler. The O2 sensor mount is in the same place though. I'm just wondering about the TDC if both side should be done the same at the same time? I would also like feed back on any way of helping with the popping effect I'm getting. Bike runs great it's just this popping sound rough. During my valve adjustment I did install new plugs.

Thanks

John
    2002 R1150RT

In my experience, both sides should be done at the same time. I always have.
    Make sure you do them when the bike is dead cold.
    Find TDC and do left side, then bump engine to find TDC and do right side.

TDC on one side is not TDC on the other side, but you may know that already.

After that, a quick hook up to a Twin Max and go for a 15 to 20 mile ride to warm engine up good, stop in a parking lot and adjust both carbs.

PS, mine is a 1979 and I don't have 02 sensors or such animals, but I would think the above would still apply.

Quote Originally Posted by bamabmw View Post
    In my experience, both sides should be done at the same time. I always have.
    Make sure you do them when the bike is dead cold.
    Find TDC and do left side, then bump engine to find TDC and do right side.

TDC on one side is not TDC on the other side, but you may know that already.

After that, a quick hook up to a Twin Max and go for a 15 to 20 mile ride to warm engine up good, stop in a parking lot and adjust both carbs.

PS, mine is a 1979 and I don't have 02 sensors or such animals, but I would think the above would still apply.
    Thanks for the reply.
    "TDC on one side is not TDC on the other side, but you may know that already." <----was the answer I was looking for. I didn't know this even though when I set my clearances I did make a couple turns then found TDC and did the other side. Yes I did it cold. I have sync my throttle body's once already. It's been about 10,000 miles you think it should be done again?

Thanks again it help set things straight.

John
    2002 R1150RT

I do think you should set the carbs again. I was always taught that carbs should be the last thing you do. So if you changed out exhaust, then have messed with valves, it's likely that setting the carbs now would bring things together.
    I'm certainly no real mechanic, but in doing these simple things to my own bike for the last 12 years has seemed to work. I've had the popping before, and a run through of plugs, valves and carbs has always made it go away.
    Of course I have an old Airhead so I do check fuel line and filters and such too and even the venting hole on my gas tank which was obstructed once and caused weird things to happen.
    If setting your carbs doesn't cure it, my guess would be something to do with the new exhaust system or it's installation. For more help than my simple answers, try Terry Ware or Gary Nesmith who are REAL mechanics. HAHA
    Connie

Thanks again for the advice. It's a pain to do my sync since I have a RT so I have to take off the side fairings not a complete pain but a obstacle. I'll post back let you know how it goes. I also just purchase a (Techlusion) TFI-1031
    Fuel Injection Controller. So sync throttle and install controller hope things sound better.

John
    2002 R1150RT

well things went well. My sync was still good. Install the Techlusion TFI-1031
    Fuel Injection Controller was easy and worked out great. No surging, no backfire or popping from muffler. Running good. Still a little hard to start in mornings but I think a fuel filter change might help that. Thanks again for your feedback bamabmw

John
    2002 R1150RT

Hey,
    Glad to hear it's all good. I'm only good at the simple stuff, and then that's where Gary and Terry kick in ! haha

Connie