Thread: Quick trip to CA

Default Quick trip to CA

Hi all. Here's a quick update on us. After the birth of our grandson, Caleb, and the passing of Melanie's Mom in SD, we decided we couldn't make it back to Kinderfest on time, so we headed west. After a couple nights camping in Estes Park trying to figure where we wanted to go we followed the nice weather and went to CA. We camped a couple nights in Yosemite then rode to the northern CA coast and camped on the Pacific ocean where a herd of about 50 elk came through camp twice a day. We then followed 101 down to CA 1,followed that till we were close to Napa, and spent the night. The next day we finished riding 1 down to Morrow Bay and then shot back to Yosemite to camp another night. Tonight we are in eastern NV on our way to camp tomorrow night in Monument valley, then the weekend at the BMW Bavarian rally in Sipapu, NM. After that, time to get back to Chattanooga. Hope to see some of you in a couple weeks at the meeting in TN.
    Greg and Melanie
    06 K1200LT
    05 VStrom 1000
    02 VStrom 1000 (in Germany)

2WANDRRs.com
    BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF, AMA

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE

Wow...jealous here! You guys ride safe and we look forward to seeing you soon!
    Current Bikes
    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
    '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

[I]BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

I think/hope I lost the clutch crossing NV to UT. Just north of Zion National Park noticed a change then felt the slip. We pulled of the road and had cell service, amazed, and called Good Sams roadside service. Free tow 175 miles to Vegas. Hope to hear tomorrow about bike. There are worse places to be broke down.
    Greg and Melanie
    06 K1200LT
    05 VStrom 1000

2WANDRRs.com

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE

Hope you back on road by now...but if still there say hello to Gerry Shear, one of the owners at BMW Las Vegas... ran into him in New Zealand few years back...

He and his lady friend was in my "Flat Stanley article" in MOA ON...

ride safe..
    Don G Norwood

2011 R1200GSA Radio Flyer III with DMC sidecar
    1975 R90/6 w/Velorex sidecar -Sold to a good home
    2015 G650GS, 1998 1200C.

Click here for more infomation FIRST SATURDAY IN DECEMBER

"The Bike may have got us together, but the friendships will keep us together"

Sounds like y'all are having a great trip. Hope there's nothing serious with the bike. Ride safe a nd have fun.

Gator
    BoB

CURRENT BIKEs

2010 R 1200 GS
    2011 Suzuki DR 650

CLUB AFFILIATIONS
    BMWMOA, BMWMOAL,

Unhappy

The bike lost a tranny bearing which sheared the clutch actuator shaft in half which reamed out the shaft opening to the clutch in the outer tranny housing. Metal in the tranny from bearing but I stopped soon as I heard bearing go so no damage to gears. Some parts have to come from Germany so at least two week fix. Flying home tomorrow. Original clutch was still OK with 108,000 miles on the clock. All bearings, clutch, and major service being done while in pieces.
    Greg and Melanie
    06 K1200LT
    05 VStrom 1000

2WANDRRs.com

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE

Ouch! my LT had 82,000 miles on it when I traded it off. Glad it is gone if that is what I had to look forward to.
    Jim Dubick
    2010 R1200RT
    BMW MOAL

Gosh Greg...sorry to hear about your troubles...I hope you get back on the road again with it soon...this sounds eerily similar to what happened to my "Buster" the GS...spun a bearing and then started spitting all those parts and pieces into the gearing...basically "mechanically" totaled the bike! yuck!
    Current Bikes
    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
    '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

The LT is back on the road. Melanie and I flew back to BMW of LV on Tuesday to get the bike. We left heading to PG, FL Wednesday morning. On the way we decided a quick trip through Monument Valley was needed, so we looped up into UT, back through Four Corners, and spent the night in Farmington, NM, 550 miles. I had an appointment Thursday morning at 0900 in Albuquerque for a rear tire so we got up at 0445 to leave, 34 degrees. On the way south the temp dipped to a balmy 21 degrees. By the time we hit the dealership it was already 34. Actually felt warm! After the tire we headed south through Roswell, NM, disappointment, and ended the day 200 miles west of Dallas, TX. Today we are in Monroe, LA and head toward FL by Sunday.

Don- Gerry sold his ownership in BMW LV earlier in the year.

See all y'all in Nauvoo Saturday afternoon.
    Greg and Melanie
    06 K1200LT
    05 VStrom 1000

2WANDRRs.com

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE

ride safe you guys...looking forward to seeing you in Nauvoo! And I did see your name on the Smoke Chasers finishers list...congratulations!!
    Current Bikes
    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
    '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;