Thread: ABS and trailer towing

Default ABS and trailer towing

I have a friend with a '03 RT with ABS and he wants to pull a small trailer. He has seen some type of plug in adapter for the ABS to used while doing so, does anyone know about such a devise and whether or not pulling a trailer would have any effect on the braking system, other that taking a longer distance to get stopped.
    Jeff Sparks
    R 1150 R

Jeff, I used to have a Bunkhouse camper that I towed behind my K1200LT. It had electric brakes that had an actuator that was triggered by the brake lights on the bike. I don't know of any cargo trailers that have brakes. The bunkhouse was very heavy and made stopping on wet pavement a very exciting proposition at times. I presently have a Bushtec cargo trailer that is very light and does not have the negative tendencies that a heavy camper does. Tell your friend that the Bushtec trailer is the very best for towing behind a bike in my humble opinion as it has torsion bar suspension and independent air shocks and you can't even tell it's back there. Of course it is expensive but sometimes you see them for sale used at about half of retail.
    Jim Dubick
    2010 R1200RT
    BMW MOAL

Jim, Thanks, I bet that is the adapter that he was talking about to link in with the bike brakes which wouldn't be necessary on trailer w/o brakes. I will pass the information on to him.
    Jeff Sparks