Thread: Battery for 2002 K1200RS (dead as a door nail)

Exclamation Battery for 2002 K1200RS (dead as a door nail)

Went to crank up the K12 and the battery was not only dead but it would not take a charge. Ordered a battery from Beemerboneyard.com that was stated to be a replacement for K1200RS motorcycles (all years). When it arrived, the battery posts were too short. In order to use it I would need to severely bend metal on the the positive terminal cable tab and cut off part of the bottom of the negative terminal tabs. I plan to call Beemerboneyard.com as soon as they open their customer service to return the battery.

Anyone know of a good place to get a replacement battery that does not require adapters or mangling the battery cable tabs. If I could get the bike started, I would ride to the dealer and purchase one there. I really don't want to drive the cage all the way to Birmingham just to get a battery.

On another note: Has anyone had any dealings with Beemerboneyard.com? Anyone had a problem with returns?

Edit (11:04): Just got off of the phone with Beemerboneyard.com. They said no problem returning the battery. They will pay the return shipping. They said they were aware that an adapter may be needed in some cases. They plan to change their info on the web to state that.
    Steve Schuckman
    2002 K1200RS Ice Blue/Marrakesh
    2015 Mercedes SLK350

Default Now to get a new battery.

Who is the current BMW dealer in Birmingham and what is their phone number? It may be cheaper for them to ship a battery to me than it would for me to drive down there and pick one up.

All of this great weather and I can't ride.
    Steve Schuckman
    2015 Mercedes SLK350

Steve, have you tried Batteries Plus? That is where I buy mine. Good products, good prices.
    Jamie
    02 K1200lt
    82 R100RT

Batteries Plus did not have an exact replacement. All required an adapter for the K1200RS. They wanted $168.00 for the Gel version.
    Steve Schuckman
    2015 Mercedes SLK350

I called Red Mountain Motorsports in Birmingham at 11:20 today and left a message with the parts department. I still haven't received a return call. They must be having some growing pains at the new location.

I just called Blooodworths. They will have a battery at my door by Monday.
    Steve Schuckman
    2015 Mercedes SLK350

Steve, Did you not read the post on this website that said that Birmingham BMW and Terry's Two Wheel had merged? If you would have called Terry I am sure you could be up and riding now. However, if you get your bike on the road in time to make it to Terry's in Pelham in time for Red Beans and rice at lunch time tomorrow Saturday the 19th he can fill you in on the latest status of Birmingham BMW. The whole gang should be there, look forward to seeing you there also.
    Jim Dubick
    2010 R1200RT
    BMW MOAL BMWMOA

Quote Originally Posted by jdubeemer View Post
    Steve, Did you not read the post on this website that said that Birmingham BMW and Terry's Two Wheel had merged?
    Jim,

Yes, I had read about that. That's why I called the Red Mountain Motorsports number instead of Terry's. Or is Red Mountain Motorsports not the same as Birmingham BMW?
    Steve Schuckman
    2015 Mercedes SLK350

Steve, I think they are operating out of Terry's location untill they secure a new location. Terry is having a sale saturday of remaining stock from the old Bogarts location.
    Jim Dubick
    2010 R1200RT
    BMW MOAL BMWMOA

Quote Originally Posted by jdubeemer View Post
    Steve, I think they are operating out of Terry's location untill they secure a new location. Terry is having a sale saturday of remaining stock from the old Bogarts location.
    If they are not operating at the published phone number (205-956-6693) then they should change the message on their answering machine. The message identifies them as Red Mountain Motorsports, lists their hours of operation and requests the caller to push a key depending on what department they want. If they are not going to return calls left at that phone number, then they should state that in the message. Otherwise callers will think they don't care about their customers. That was the impression I got when I did not receive a call back. I still have not received a call.
    Steve Schuckman
    2015 Mercedes SLK350

Good information Jim.

Steve, sorry to hear you have battery problems. The weather is going to be great tomorrow, so even if you have to drive the cage, drop the top and find the back roads to Terry's Two Wheel. All that attended the 2010 Red Bean's and Rice 4T gathering had a great time and the red beans and rice was fantastic.

Red Mountain Motorsports is in the throws of moving. They have to be out of their current location by the end of the month if not sooner. I heard that the Fiat folks are applying pressure for them to leave.

Hope to see you in Bham in the morning.
    Bob Steber
    1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
    1991 R100GS The Bumblebee
    1976 R90s Odalisque