Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ABEES Ride to Hamilton, Vernon, Carrolton, Pickensville, Aliceville and Demopolis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABEES Ride to Hamilton, Vernon, Carrolton, Pickensville, Aliceville and Demopolis

The weather forecast was iffy at best, but it was clear and cool early Thursday morning, so off I went on my 440 mile day ride to Central SW Alabama to check off some courthouses and other POIs. I am also looking for the best fried chicken in Alabama, and the Plantation House in Aliceville is reported to have the best.

Most of the day was great for riding my motorcycle, but later in the afternoon, that changed. I don't remember being in rain like that other than the Monsoons in SE Asia. Fortunately the downpours lasted only about 10 minutes each time and my riding gear kept me dry.

Here are some photos.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bsteberb...39641478331794
    Last edited by R90srider; 09-11-2009, 12:35 PM.
    Bob Steber
    1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
    1991 R100GS The Bumblebee
    1976 R90s Odalisque

Look out Martin... someone is closing in!! Looks like a great ride!
    Current Bikes
    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
    '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

[I]BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

Comment

Hey Vance.

Every time I get close to Martins numbers, he takes off again to get more points, usually 20-30 at a time. He told Jim that he is not going to let that "big old Bob" beat him .

It was a good ride even in the heavy rain, and it is a real pleasure to see the areas in Alabama I have not seen before. I was very impressed with how well kept the Old Bethany Cemetery near Aliceville is. That is were James McCrory, one of George Washington's body guards, is buried. Also, this was my first visit to Livingston and it is a beautiful little town. Demopolis has some very well restored antebellum and Victorian buildings. Also, the white bluffs along the Tom Bigby river reminded me a little of the White Cliffs of Dover. I have not seen anything like that in the US.
      Bob Steber
      1976 R90s Odalisque

Comment

Originally posted by Vance View Post
        Look out Martin... someone is closing in!! Looks like a great ride!
        Vance, not for long.

This
        is where you can see the places I visited Thursday. I only need four courthouses to have all 72 and already have all to the Hallelujah Trail churches.

Bob is going to have ride farther and longer to stay in the game.
        Last edited by R100R Rider; 09-11-2009, 04:38 PM. Reason: Add more information
        Martin Benson
        Alabaster, AL

2004 R1150R "Black Beauty"

----------
        For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16

Comment

Bob you are just gonna have to be as sneaky as he is to get ahead.
          Jim Dubick
          2010 R1200RT
          BMW MOAL BMWMOA

Comment

The only person that can out sneaky Martin is the north Alabama Outlaw .
            Bob Steber
            1976 R90s Odalisque

Comment

Good ride

BOB,
              Your trips make me look forward to retirement so that I can join you in some of your planned rides. Excellent photos.

Regards,

Flatrabbit
              2000 K1200LT
              2006 Husqvarna Lawn Tractor

Comment

Being able to retire while still healthy is a very good thing, but you do not need to be retired to go ABEESing. There are many POIs, favorite roads and rides and eateries near your home. It helps to be able to plot your route on a computer using Martin's GPS route planning file, then down load it to your GPS. All you have to do is open the GPS file, use your route tool to indicate the POIs and roads you want to visit and then build the route you want.
                Bob Steber
                1976 R90s Odalisque

Comment

R90srider and anyone else,
                  Being one of the new guys, I would really like to get some more info on how everyone goes about planning trips. I have picked up a Nuvi 550 and would love to find out what works well on a Mac for planning trips. Secondly is there a link to the "Martin's GPS route planning file" you mentioned. I'm not retired but I have a pretty flexible schedule for riding. I would love to accompany someone on a ride to view how the ABEESing is done. Thanks
                  Greg
                  09 F800GS

Comment

Hi Greg

I am not familiar with the Nuvi or the Mac. In order to use your computer to develop routes, you must have Gamin's MapSource mapping file loaded and unlocked. Garmin's customer service department is excellent and can answer any questions you have about MapSource. 1800 800 1020.

Here is the link to Martin's GPS route planning files http://www.bmwmoal.org/gps_route_planning.php

When you open the link, click on the GPS Route Planning Map Template with ABEES POIs - updated Aug 18 2009 tab. There you will find all of the waypoints that are in our ABEES Touring Guide. Use the route tool to select the waypoints you want for your route. MapSource will automatically plot your route. When that is done, download it to your GPS. Then delete all of the waypoints that are not part of your route. Do this by highlighting all of the waypoints and press the delete key. Then press no until only your selected routes are are on your map file, then save as the name you give it.

Martin is leading a ride to our Shellmound meeting next Friday and also a ride Saturday morning leaving and returning to Shellmound. If you can go on one or both of his rides, I think you will really enjoy it.
                    Bob Steber
                    1976 R90s Odalisque

Comment

Thanks Bob, I have the Mac version of MapSource loaded and was able to get all the meeting routes viewable. I just have to get them loaded onto my GPS and figure out Martin's GPS route planner program.
                      Greg
                      09 F800GS

Comment

Greg,

I would be glad to meet you sometime and you with route planning.

In the meantime take a look at this thread. It will give you a good bit of info about route planning.

http://forums.bmwmoal.org/showthread.php?t=212
                        Martin Benson
                        Alabaster, AL

2004 R1150R "Black Beauty"

----------
                        For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16

Comment

Greg.

That's good news. I was afraid that MapSource would not work with the Mac computer. Were you able to unlock the software on your computer and GPS unit? If so, the MapSource instruction booklet is pretty good, so look it over and practice with the features. When you learn the basics, you will find that MapSource is very user friendly and the more you use it, the easier it is to understand.

I will be glad to get together with you to go over some of the things I have learned that are not mentioned in the owners manual. Just let me know when you want to do it.
                          Bob Steber
                          1976 R90s Odalisque

Comment

Working...
                          X