Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Nesmith Is In Hospital

Hello Alabeemers

Gary Nesmith is having a rough time. He hasn't felt well since April and he went to the doctors several times before being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, but nothing prescribed helped. He is in hospital now.

Here is a series of emails between Darlene and I that brings this sad news up to date:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Darlene,
    I talked to Gary today when he was at Shelby waiting for an ambulance to take him to Brookwood. He also said the will have surgery to remove blood from his brain. Shocking to say the least. What can I do to help you and Gary?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Darlene Massey

to me

Bob. Got him admitted to Brookwood about 2:30. Did an ekg chest X-rays and blood work. Neurosurgeon came by and said he had the cat scan from Shelby and was going to look it over and take another tomorrow and compare

Gary has his phone with him. I'm home with dogs. Visiting hours were over st 6:00
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bob

Gary's pretty much knocked out all day. He had an MRI and sonogram done today. He is on Ativan every 4 hours to keep him from getting agitated.
    Not slit of conversation going on. Still can't have any food or water

Don't know how long he'll be in here before going to a room. He's where he needs to be for now

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Darlene Massey

9:21 PM (54 minutes ago)

to me

Bob. Since you know how to post on club website would you just let everyone knows about Gary and prayers are needed
    Bob Steber
    1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
    1991 R100GS The Bumblebee
    1976 R90s Odalisque

Thanks for the post Bob. When we had lunch with Gary a couple of weeks ago I knew he was in some pain but this is a shock. Gary is in Carolyn’s and my thoughts and prayers.

Comment

Gary nesmith

Phillip and I are so sorry to here this about Gary. Praying the doctors' hands that administer to him will aid in his pain and manageable recovery.
      Martha Warren

Comment

I hate to hear this. Please keep us posted. Sounds like there are a couple of issues going on but at least he is at a good facility to deal with these. Our thoughts and prayers are with Gary and Darlene through this ordeal.

Comment

Darlene Massey
          10:52 AM (1 hour ago)

to me
          Hi Bob

They've taken Gary off Ativan and he a little more alert. Still sleeps quite a bit. Going to move him to a room tomorrow and started trying to get him mobile. Will have food for first time at lunch today.
          Bob Steber
          1976 R90s Odalisque

Comment

The Internist just left. Said according to the Neurosurgeon records they still don't know for sure about surgery yet just making sure that things get better before they make that decision
            Tom Binford was here earlier and so was Gary's son and daughter in law.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            10/22/2017
            Darlene Massey
            3:24 PM (4 minutes ago)

to me
            Bob.

He's is SICU 4th floor 4th bed on left. If he continues to improve like he has the last 24 hours I think tomorrow he'll be really awake
            Last edited by R90srider; 10-22-2017, 02:31 PM.
            Bob Steber
            1976 R90s Odalisque

Comment

What kind of surgery are they considering? My heart aches hearing all this.
              Jim Dubick
              2010 R1200RT
              BMW MOAL BMWMOA

Comment

So sorry to hear about Gary. We will certainly be thinking about him and wish him the best.
                Tommy Crawford
                2012 1600GTL
                2012 1200GS
                2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited

Comment

Originally posted by jdubeemer View Post
                  What kind of surgery are they considering? My heart aches hearing all this.
                  I re read the first quote about the surgery. Hope that isn't necessary. Praying every day for his recovery.
                  Jim Dubick
                  2010 R1200RT
                  BMW MOAL BMWMOA

Comment

10/23/2017

Bob he got in a room today before lunch and I went to see him on my lunch break since I had a meeting this afternoon and couldn't go

The neurosurgeon came by this afternoon and said he would be evaluated tomorrow by a physical therapist
                    Bob Steber
                    1976 R90s Odalisque

Comment

John Swift
                      8:10 PM (26 minutes ago)

to me
                      Bob,
                      Hope this finds you well. John Harper informed me about Gary’s illness and had no further info when I spoke with him this afternoon. Please feel free to email or call me if you find out more. I attempted to call his home and cell phones but was unable to reach anyone.
                      Regards,
                      John Swift
                      Bob Steber
                      1976 R90s Odalisque

Comment

Wanted to let everyone know the latest update from Darlene on Gary who has been quite ill and is in Brookwood Hospital currently. He was originally admitted after a couple of falls where he sustained a couple of good bumps to his head. He has had a battery of tests to investigate several current issues including his lack of appetite. While results of those tests have not been conclusive he is making process albeit slower than we all want. Please keep Gary in your thoughts and prayers during his recovery. We'll post updates here as they are available. Get well soon Gary!
                        Current Bikes
                        '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
                        '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

[I]BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

Comment

Thank you Vance.

Kathy's and my thoughts and prayers for a rapid recovery go out to Gary.
                          Bob Steber
                          1976 R90s Odalisque

Comment

I just saw this. So sad to hear. Prayers and happy thought for you and Darlene Gary!

Comment

Hello all, I received an update from Darlene this morning and Gary is still in the hospital but improving each day. His appetite is getting better so with that he is gaining strength. He has physical therapy twice a day which seems to be helping him gain some much needed strength. And I hear is anxious to get out of there as soon as he can. Please keep Gary in your prayers as he continues his recovery. We look forward to having him back with us soon!
                              Current Bikes
                              '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
                              '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

[I]BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

Comment

Working...
                              X