Crash involving members on 4-15-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crash involving members on 4-15-17

As many know Tommy Crawford, his wife Dianna, and Tim Nesmith were involved in a horrible looking accident on yesterday. I wanted to update you. Tim walked away with minor injuries. Tommy was airlifted to Huntsville Hospital, but not even admitted. He'll be in a neck brace for a while with some damage to C3 and C4 vertebrae but not serious, and a sore ankle. Dianna was also airlifted and suffered 3 broken ribs, a broken wrist and bruising on her lungs. She was in good spirits and cutting up in the ER. All in all, they came out very well considering. A few weeks healing physically, some time mentally too. Prayers for a speedy recovery. They'll be hurting for a while.

Tim is sans a bike at this point, and Tommy's Exclusive had less than 1000mi on it. Bikes are replaceable, but they still hurt to lose too.

tommyscrash_zps6gcd0p7l.jpg

timscrash2_zpsznqbb2ol.jpg
    Current bikes: 2013 K1600GT, Montego Blue Metallic, 2016 S1000R, Black Storm Metallic

Member: BMWMOA, BMWMOAL

I'm not in a hurry, I just like to go fast.

Thank you for the update, hope they have a speedy recovery.
    Brian Hinton
    2007 R1200R
    2007 K1200GT
    2016 R1200GS

Comment

I'm sure holding a thought for all 3 of them! So glad their injuries are not too serious, but also know that they will be sore for a while, both mentally and physically.
      JB
      John B
      "I always wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific!"

Current rides: 2017 BMW R1200RT

Comment

Thanks for the update Jim we do appreciate it. Wishing all three the very best for a quick recovery. And thanks to you and all the club members and friends that have helped these riders out after the accident. I am reminded in times like this of how close of a community this club is and what an important part true friends play in a time of need.

Ride safe everyone!
        Current Bikes
        '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
        '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

[I]BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

Comment

Thanks for the update Jim we do appreciate it. Wishing all three the very best for a quick recovery. And thanks to you and all the club members and friends that have helped these riders out after the accident. I am reminded in times like this of how close of a community this club is and what an important part true friends play in a time of need.

Ride safe everyone!
          Current Bikes
          '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
          '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

Comment

Oh dear ! I am so glad to hear they are all okay!
            Connie
            http://www.freewebs.com/bamabmw/index.htm

Comment

Here is an update from David Hogg:

"Please circulate to all who would like to know -

Tommy and Diana will be fine but have multiple injuries and will take a long time to heal. I brought Tommy home late Saturday night. He has 2 non-critical cervical spine fractures and a severe concussion. He is already mobile with a walker and the fractures are immobilized with an Aspen collar which he can remove for sleep and bathing. He still has pain in the right ankle but no fracture was found. Yesterday he had pain pretty much everywhere and persistent, but improving, dizziness from the concussion.

Diana had surgery Sunday evening to fix her right wrist. She is now at home with us with 4 rib fractures and underlying lung contusion. She is pretty uncomfortable but responds well to the pain meds. She also had a concussion but not so severe and has no related problems.

They will be with us at my house on the lake for a few days."

David
              Bob Steber
              1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
              1991 R100GS The Bumblebee
              1976 R90s Odalisque

Comment

Thank you David for your help and assistance. I hope they all hheal quickly!
                Connie
                http://www.freewebs.com/bamabmw/index.htm

Comment

Glad to hear that they're all doing better. Hope the healing continues with no problems.

Gator
                  BoB

CURRENT BIKEs

2010 R 1200 GS

CLUB AFFILIATIONS
                  BMWMOA, BMWMOAL,

Comment

thanks for posting Bob. I followed up today with David myself (had not seen your post until just now) and you have posted the latest information above. Thinking of you guys and Tim as well as I know he must be really sore after taking the tumble that he did as well. Best to all three of you. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Here's hoping every day is a better one!
                    Current Bikes
                    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
                    '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

Comment

Tim is in good spirits and said he is getting better daily. He is now preparing to work with the insurance company and feels certain his beautiful, new to him 1600 GT will be totaled.

This is a good time for us to consider how important our protective gear is. Tim was wearing an Aerostitch Roadcrafter (http://www.aerostich.com/men-s-roadc...iece-suit.html) and even-though he was thrown off his bike and slid across the both lanes of the road on his back and down a 20 ft (+ -) embankment, there wasn't a scratch on him nor were there broken bones. (I think his get off wasn't a high side landing) Of course, he also wore a good helmet, boots and gloves. Remember: DRESS FOR THE SLIDE AS WELL AS THE RIDE.
                      Last edited by R90srider; 04-18-2017, 04:36 PM.
                      Bob Steber
                      1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
                      1991 R100GS The Bumblebee
                      1976 R90s Odalisque

Comment

How is everyone involved progressing? My thoughts are with all of you! Get well quickly
                        JGoertz
                        2012 Triumph Bonneville SE
                        2015 BMW R1200RT

Comment

Every day I think of all of them and hope for permanent wellness for them.
                          jb
                          John B
                          "I always wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific!"

Current rides: 2017 BMW R1200RT

Comment

I'm saddened to hear of this accident and glad all are on the mend.
                            Greg and Melanie
                            06 K1200LT
                            05 VStrom 1000
                            02 VStrom 1000 (in Germany)

2WANDRRs.com
                            BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF, AMA

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for all the thoughts and well wishes from all the great club members. As a little update on our condition, Diana is continuing physical therapy on her fractured left wrist and has made a lot of progress. Her recovery was slowed initially due to having to have a second surgery in Birmingham to correct the first one she had in Huntsville. She continues to work on fully regaining the range of motion with her left arm and wrist which, although it has proven to be a time consuming effort, she has made substantial improvements. I seem to have fully recovered from my fractures at C4 and C7 and believe I will be able to avoid surgery with my ACL tear.

I cannot stress enough the importance of wearing good riding gear, especially helmets. I was wearing a modular Shoei which remained intact but Diana's modular Schuberth separated at the hinge where the chin guard portion attaches to the side of the helmet. I truly believe we would not be walking around today had we not had on very good gear. I did not have a scratch on my skin and Diana only had a very minor cut on her nose from her sunglasses. Both of our helmets took a pretty good beating as well as our jackets, pants and boots.

One other point I would like to pass along is to check your insurance for medical payments coverage and replacement of riding gear. With all of the health insurance changes in the last few years, medical payments coverage is more important now than ever before. Many health insurance companies have gone to high deductibles and co-pays to increase their profits. If that is the case with your carrier, $5,000 to $10,000 in med pay coverage would prevent those charges from coming out of your pocket. Some insurance companies such as St Farm will write motorcycle insurance policies but will not offer med pay coverage and others limit the amount of med pay available to you. Also, some companies offer coverage for riding apparel replacement and some do not. With the high cost of good riding gear, it can be very beneficial to have that coverage. My gear is intact just very dirty but someone at the hospital thought it necessary to cut Diana's riding gear off. So please take a few minutes and review your policies for those coverages as it might save you a lot of $$ in the event you are unfortunate enough to need it.

One last thought, hope you never have to transported in a helicopter due to injuries. Although we had coverage through BCBS for air medical services, it did not happen to be with the company that provided our transport, like we were in a position to verify that at the time. Let's just say that the medivac companies are very proud of their services and there is no agreement in place whereby they will accept the small amount BCBS determines they should be paid and not pursue the remaining amount of their charges.

Thanks again for all the kind words that have been posted. Hopefully we will be back riding in the near future. We both looked at new helmets over the weekend. :-)

Tommy
                              Tommy Crawford
                              2012 1600GTL
                              2012 1200GS
                              2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited

Comment

Working...
                              X