Big 1 BMW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big 1 BMW

I went by Big 1 Yamaha at the Oxmoor Rd. exit off I-65 since I heard at lunch that they were going to be a BMW dealer. The sales manager there is Chris Hoover(son of a close friend Steve Hoover, retired Purple Heart Vietnam VET). Steve was active with the CMA and rode a Honda Valkyrie Trike with a hand clutch that had a chrome plated hand grenade for a knob.
    Chris said they are going through the process and should have ten BMW bikes on the floor soon. He also took the time to show me the Polaris Slingshot models they have on display. He said they are taking a lot of orders for them by those that can't ride but still want to be out in the wind. I had wondered why it was still built as a motorcycle and he explained that it is to eliminate the mandatory safety requirements of a car. So I didn't notice any seat belts, air bags etc. Looks like fun and he asked me if I wanted to sit in it but I declined thinking it might take two to get me out of it.
    Jim Dubick
    2010 R1200RT
    BMW MOAL BMWMOA

Yes Jim I had heard through reliable sources that they were getting the BMW dealership and that is good news. Those folks there are really nice and in fact Jeff Hohen that worked with Ted at Venture is there also. I am glad to hear they are coming on board!

Now for the Slingshot...if all goes well maybe we will get to see Phillip & Martha's Slingshot at the meeting
    Current Bikes
    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
    '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

[I]BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

Comment

Hey Jim, I sat in the Slingshot and fortunately managed to get out of it. It would have helped to have kept up with my stretching exercises.
      Bob Steber
      1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
      1991 R100GS The Bumblebee
      1976 R90s Odalisque

Comment

Maybe bmw is opening there eyes and seeing people need shops around. It is no fun to take you bike 200-300 miles to a shop and then go back to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
          Maybe bmw is opening there eyes and seeing people need shops around. It is no fun to take you bike 200-300 miles to a shop and then go back to get it.
          Yes Bruce, I am over 100 miles from Pandora's, 75 miles from Big 1, and 50 miles from Cycle Nation in Huntsville. Nice to have several options.
          Jim Dubick
          2010 R1200RT
          BMW MOAL BMWMOA

Comment

So let me make sure I understand this: Cycle Nation and Big #1 are both going to be carrying BMW and doing service?

And where is Pandora's?
            '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match...

Comment

Originally posted by basketcase View Post
              So let me make sure I understand this: Cycle Nation and Big #1 are both going to be carrying BMW and doing service?

And where is Pandora's?
              Yes both will sell and service BMWs. Pandora's European Motorsports is in Chattanooga. That is where I bought my recent R1200RT and have taken it there for service and tires.
              Jim Dubick
              2010 R1200RT
              BMW MOAL BMWMOA

Comment

Originally posted by jdubeemer View Post
                Yes both will sell and service BMWs. Pandora's European Motorsports is in Chattanooga. That is where I bought my recent R1200RT and have taken it there for service and tires.
                10-4. Thanks for the reply.

I do most of my own routine maintenance but it will be nice to have a dealership close by.

An aside of interest to me is that I recall when BMW dissed Carlos and moved the dealership from Vinemont to Birmingham. A lot of us were skeptical and discussed "if it is working why meddle with it?"

Apparently the big glitzy, single marque showrooms have not worked out as they had hoped.
                '00 R1100RT

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and then douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match...

Comment

Keep in mind......

If you leave your bike over night at Pandora's, it will be left outside, rain, sleet or shine. Also, Pandora's does not have a loading dock to safely unload and load your bike if you truck it there.
                  Cycle Nation will keep your bike indoors and they have full size loading dock.

For the prices I pay for BMW service I expect no less than my bike being kept inside and a safe method for loading & unloading.
                  65 Honda Black Bomber - 67 Kawasaki 120ss - 69 Kawasaki 175 Bushwacker - 74 Kawasaki H2 - 77 Yamaha RD400 - 09 Kawasaki KLX250sf - 10 BMW R1200R - 2014 Bonneville T100SE

Comment

Thanks for that information about Cycle Nation Ric.

Pandora's have moved to their new location which is much larger and one of the reasons for building the new facility was to eliminate the outdoor service parking area.

I have not been by Cycle Nation lately but I did buy a Honda scooter for my wife to play with from them and had a good experience dealing with them then. I was out of town for the grand opening of the BMW operation but plan to get by there one day soon. I fly out of Huntsville regularly but usually return on Sunday when they are closed. Guess I'll have to make special trip up there on the bike.
                    Jim Dubick
                    2010 R1200RT
                    BMW MOAL BMWMOA

Comment

Originally posted by jdubeemer View Post
                      Thanks for that information about Cycle Nation Ric.

Pandora's have moved to their new location which is much larger and one of the reasons for building the new facility was to eliminate the outdoor service parking area.

I have not been by Cycle Nation lately but I did buy a Honda scooter for my wife to play with from them and had a good experience dealing with them then. I was out of town for the grand opening of the BMW operation but plan to get by there one day soon. I fly out of Huntsville regularly but usually return on Sunday when they are closed. Guess I'll have to make special trip up there on the bike.

I may be wrong but, my understand is that the new Pandora location does not have indoor service parking. If that's incorrect, someone correct me.
                      65 Honda Black Bomber - 67 Kawasaki 120ss - 69 Kawasaki 175 Bushwacker - 74 Kawasaki H2 - 77 Yamaha RD400 - 09 Kawasaki KLX250sf - 10 BMW R1200R - 2014 Bonneville T100SE

Comment

Big Number 1, is now the new B.M.W. dealer in Birmingham. I was there a few weeks ago and a sales man told me they have 2 factory trained service techs as well as the service mgr. They had quite a few bikes on the floor. SO, GOOD NEWS! we can get service now in B'ham. I have not used them for anything as of yet.

Please let us know of your expirence with them.

Comment

The new B.M.W. dealer in Birmingham is the Big Number 1 at Oxmore Rd. and I65.

Comment

Working...
                          X