Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting tire change procedure

I copied the following from BMWST.com:

Just finished installing a new set of PR3's on the RT using the zip tie method discussed on another thread here. Wow! When doing the rear tire I used a spoon to encourage about the last 8 inches of the bead over. On the front I literally pushed the tire onto the rim (no tools!).

Here's what I did:
    I found some 14" zip ties at Home Depot (75lb rating). Turns out they're fine for the front but for the back you need probably about an 18 to 20". I simply coupled 2 of the 14" together to make a longer one.

On both tires I placed the zip ties at 4 quadrants. Kneeling on the section it was easy to cinch up the zip ties to where the beads touched (or nearly so). I do have a Harbor Freight machine so I mounted the rim in that. A little soap, some pushing and Pop - tire on rim. Essentially you're installing both beads at the same time. I think what makes the method work so well is the zip ties keep the first bead from seating and making the second bead easier.

Not sure who came up with the technique or who posted here but you both have my thanks.

I will try this on my next change.

That's really interesting Steve, but I think Terry will still get my tire changes.
    Jim Dubick
    2010 R1200RT
    BMW MOAL BMWMOA

Comment

ok...I read it....now I gots to think about it a minute...lol...hmmmmm
      Current Bikes
      '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
      '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

[I]BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6WPzRRJLpA Try this video.
        Jamie
        02 K1200lt
        82 R100RT

Comment

Jamie it probably helps if you are half our age and have a set of "guns" like that guy has.
          Jim Dubick
          2010 R1200RT
          BMW MOAL BMWMOA

Comment

well, he did not have an easy time with it...but he did get it done. Kind of interesting.
            Current Bikes
            '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
            '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

[I]BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

Comment

Having another set of hands would have helped, oh and a couple beers! Will do this when the RT needs tires and will report back. At my current rate though my tires are lasting years, not miles

Comment

I've got a Harbor Freight machine too, but haven't changed a tire in a while. I haven't been riding much and just get another bike before the tires need changing.
                Bill
                72 Honda CT90 (Orange Crush)

Comment

How many zip ties does it take to balance it?

Comment

Working...
                  X