Final Drive failing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Drive failing??

Well, I think I'm about to be one of the final drive failures. I left Birmingham this morning and coming through St. Augustine this afternoon I started hearing a linear, speed related pulsing sound. I stopped to look at tires, inspect the bike, and all looked OK. No oil or rear wheel lateral movement at 12 and 6 position, but definite sound. I rode another 45 mins. into Daytona very carefully and checked again, same thing. Nothing. Drained the oil in final drive and a pile of silver, metal flakes. Is this the rear bearing, and what is the fix? What all should I have done.
    It was great seeing everyone this past week. See you again soon.
    Greg and Melanie
    06 K1200LT
    05 VStrom 1000
    02 VStrom 1000 (in Germany)

2WANDRRs.com
    BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF, AMA

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE

Greg----bummer!

Yep. Sounds like its time for a final drive replacement or repair. Mine went out at 42,000 miles and I was fortunate to find a low mileage unit on IBMWR. Total cost for replacement was around $450.00 including the cost of the unit. Terry Ware did a great job with the the exchange. He also replaced the pivot bearing with a bushing, which he recommended.

Here is a link for Hannigon Trikes. They sometimes have used final drives for sale at a reasonable price. http://www.hannigantrikes.com/content/bmw.html.

I occasionally see a final drive for sale on IBMWR too
    Bob Steber
    1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
    1991 R100GS The Bumblebee
    1976 R90s Odalisque

Comment

Greg, since you have the extended warranty you probably will just want to carry it to BMW of Daytona for repair. I understand they do good work. If possible, in my mind, replacement is better than a rebuild.
      Jamie
      02 K1200lt
      82 R100RT

Comment

Greg.

Jamie is right about replacement. If your bike is in warranty, definitely take it to the dealer. An added benefit is the additional warranty you will receive for the final drive.

A note of caution, some dealers will void the warranty if you pull a trailer.
        Bob Steber
        1976 R90s Odalisque

Comment

Bummer Greg. Keep us posted. Unfortunately there are too many members of this "failure" club!
          Current Bikes
          '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
          '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

[I]BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

Comment

Greg,
            How many miles on your bike? I have a K-LT with 63,000 miles. I had a drive shaft failure at 62,000 miles.

Regards,

Flatrabbit
            2000 K1200LT
            Husqvarna Lawn Mower

Comment

Greg,
              Sorry to hear about your final drive problem, keep us posted. I am saving my money for not if, but when mine fails!!!

Gary Williams
              Gary Williams

Comment

I have 80,000 miles on the bike. If you take the trailer hitch off the bike after the repair, will BMW warranty the drive for the two years then? It is being warranteed by Pinnacle insurance right now, but goes out of warranty at 100,000 miles. The rear rotor and the stereo are also being replaced thanks to the insurance. I hope it will be finished by Wed. since I have to leave for Birmingham on Thursday. Melanie will have to go down to Daytona with the truck and trailer to pick it up since I am on call all week and can't leave.
                Greg and Melanie
                06 K1200LT
                05 VStrom 1000

2WANDRRs.com

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE

Comment

Greg, I am releived that Pinnacle is picking up the tab. No, you do not have to remove the trailer hitch but if the fd fails then remove the hitch before carrying the bike back to BMW.
                  Jamie
                  02 K1200lt
                  82 R100RT

Comment

kind of sounds like cheating doesn't it? Just glad you are getting it repaired under your extended warranty.
                    Gary
                    Charm and Mr. Congeniality

Comment

I got the baby back home today. Melanie took the trailer down to BMW Daytona and picked it up since I am on call and can't drive there. I have nothing but good comments about BMW Daytona and Pinnacle insurance. They rebuilt the final drive, replaced the rear rotor because of the tech bulletin, new rear pads, and repalced the stereo because rear speakers weren't working, amp failure. All work now comes under BMW warranty that will cover everything worked on for two years. $1400 worth of parts and labor and they covered all but $69.48. I'm good now for another 50,000 miles
                      Greg and Melanie
                      06 K1200LT
                      05 VStrom 1000

2WANDRRs.com

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE

Comment

Thats great news Greg. Hope to see you guys at Shell Mound.
                        Bob Steber
                        1976 R90s Odalisque

Comment

Glad you got it worked out Greg...see you guys soon!
                          Current Bikes
                          '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
                          '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

[I]BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

Comment

They rebuilt the final drive, replaced the rear rotor because of the tech bulletin, new rear pads, and repalced the stereo because rear speakers weren't working, amp failure. All work now comes under BMW warranty that will cover everything worked on for two years. $1400 worth of parts and labor and they covered all but $69.48. I'm good now for another 50,000 miles
                            Mine quit 50,000 miles ago, does that mean I'm doomed?
                            Jim Dubick
                            2010 R1200RT
                            BMW MOAL BMWMOA

Comment

I had the rear drive go out on a R1100RT at around 48k miles, ordered bearings and replaced them, drive last about 10k miles and went wobbly again. Again I installed bearings/cups checked play /shims, lasted about another 10k after I sold it, replaced the drive at my expense. I rebuilt a K rear drive or two with better success, same bearings, so couldn't understand what was going on. Later on I learned that BMW had a high failure rate with early type (large) bearings so they changed the number of ball bearings in the part! The mechanic told me that you had to watch out that dealers may be selling the old parts they got stuck with! So thought I would pass that along if you do work on your own bike.
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X