Wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel bearings

Just curious...............I would appreciate some knowledgeable advise regarding this issue. I have a 2000 K1200LT with 75K on the odometer. Should I replace the front wheel bearings (as a safety issue) at this time? My thinking is that I would hate to get a far distance away from home and have a bearing failure. Any thoughts on this as preventative maintenance?

(Strictly from a laymen's point of view)I don't recall ever changing one just to change on anything I have had. And I don't recall hearing of a front wheel bearing failure. Maybe some of the more "experienced" mechanically will have a different opinion....but I wouldn't think it is needed without an indicator that it is needed.
    Current Bikes
    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
    '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

[I]BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

Comment

A good cleaning then inspection and repack with bearing grease should do if they are not damaged.

Gator
      BoB

CURRENT BIKEs

2010 R 1200 GS

CLUB AFFILIATIONS
      BMWMOA, BMWMOAL,

Comment

I would be more concerned with the rear drive bearings than front wheel. Have Terry check them for you.
        Jim Dubick
        2010 R1200RT
        BMW MOAL BMWMOA

Comment

I had over 254,500 miles on my 2002 LT when I sold it and it still had the original front wheel bearings. No service was ever done on the bearings. The rear bearings were a different story.
          Tommy Z.
          2012 K1600GTL
          BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, AMA

www.bayoubikers.net

Comment

Mr. Gator,
            Aren't the front wheel bearings a sealed bearing? Please advise on this, please.

Comment

Mr. Bikertaz
              That is good to know.....................thanks!

Comment

The front wheel bearings are a sealed bearing.
                Tommy Z.
                2012 K1600GTL
                BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, AMA

www.bayoubikers.net

Comment

Working...
                X