95GS vent hose leaking gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95GS vent hose leaking gas

I noticed that I had a gas smell and slight bit of wetness on the vent tube of my 95GS when the tank is pretty full. I know both the vent hose and drain hose for the gas cap pass through the gas in the tank and are rubber. I suspect it is time to replace them as they are probably deteriorating and allowing gas to seep in. Has anyone used non-BMW hose? If so any recommendations on size? Any tricks I need to know to do this?

Thanks,
    Erik Bahl
    Huntsville

"Those are some fine P-nuts"

2004 R1150R
    1929 R63 OHV - 2014 Cannonball Run Entry #63
    1915 H-D Model 11F - 2016 and 2018 Cannonball Run

Erik,
    Before you go replacing your lines, check to see if the carbon canister has been removed. It looks like an extended tin can and hangs from the right side between the wheel and the right side pannier. I bet it has been removed and when this is done it is normal for the vent lines which once ran to the canister now hang down around the swing arm. If so it is normal for these lines to vent out gasoline when the tank is full and the bike is on the sidestand (especially so in the heat.) Solution is to park the bike on the center stand when tank is full. Also good procedure is that when you are stopping for fuel and food, get the food first then fill up so you will be rolling down the road with a full tank instead of it dripping all over the bike and parking lot while you are eating.
    Ain't nothing wrong with your vent lines and replacing them ain't gonna help the situation.
    Catch me sometime and I will tell you the rationale for removing the carbon canister.

Gary
    Charm and Mr. Congeniality

Comment

Gary,

This one has the cannister removed. It is leaking out of the vent lines parked in an air conditioned shop on the center stand. I have ordered the tank seals and if they arrive tomorrow, I will dismantle Sunday. The hose(s) have a crack or are deteriorated. I get an OZ. or so out of the line in half a day with the tank 2/3 full.
      Erik Bahl
      Huntsville

2004 R1150R

Comment

I replaced the inner vent lines in the tank with 3/8" fuel hose and new clamps. This has solved the gas leak/smell.

An interesting thing I had to deal with when I had the tank apart was the deteriorated tank liner. It was peeling off the sides in small sheets. I had quite a bit floating around inside. I ended up pressure washing the inside of the tank at the car wash to remove this in order to aviod having plugged up fuel filters down the line.
        Erik Bahl
        Huntsville

2004 R1150R

Comment

Eric,
          I know it has been a while since you posted this, but the liner also came loose in Angie' R850R. What a mess! Terry Ware recommended a product called POR 15 to reline the tank. The kit cost about $50 and includes an acid wash to remove the rest of your old liner. It has a two part mixture that you mix and pour in the tank and slosh around to reline the tank. Highly recommend relining to kept out the rust that will develop from water that gets in the fuel. Have been very pleased with the product over the two years it has been in service on Angie's bike.
          gary
          Charm and Mr. Congeniality

Comment

Working...
          X