Brake Failure Warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Failure Warning

Riding my 07 GS this pass weekend at a crossroad i noticed ( Brake Failure) warning was on, so i stop turn off the bike waited a minute or so and turned on the key, it ran its test, But the brake failure light blinked once and then stayed on like i was in off road mode. Brakes worked Ok no problems there. After numerous times on/off down the drive way, back brakes only, front brakes only, i think i have a fault. History: i hauled the bike to the dealer for that fuel pump sensor recall early DEC, had the once a year/12000 mi check while i was there, changing the brake fluid was part of the service. i'am new to the workings of ABS but i understand that a air bubble in the ABS unit might /could cause this to happen? I have checked the sensors at the wheels they look to be in place, fluid levels are good. So do i bleed the brakes which is not a problem or haul it back to dealer.
    Tony
    Mobile,AL

I have had that problem with my LT and the Fluid level was low after having it serviced. It also happens to me when riding in the rain and the sensor gets wet.
    Jim Dubick
    2010 R1200RT
    BMW MOAL BMWMOA

Comment

Well, I am certainly no mechanic but I do know that bleeding that ABS system is no ordinary task. Unless you have studied it and are equipped, I would not do that at home. the only problem I have had that is similar on my 09 GS is the failure light after wheel spin coming out of the mud. I simply reset the system by restarting and everything returned to normal. Sounds like you may have an issue indeed.
      Current Bikes
      '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
      '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

[I]BMWMOAL / BMWMOA / AMA / Dixie Dual Sport / IBA/ BMW Riders of Chattanooga

I may not be here for a long time...but I am here for a good time!

Comment

Well i talked to the Mech at Heberts today said there is no quick fix to the problem. But he did offer to fix the problem at no charge ( fault read and brake bleed add fluid if needed) because it was just in the shop and its still under warranty so if there is a problem with the ABS it can be handled now before that runs out in April. So i guess i will haul it to the shop.
        Tony
        Mobile,AL

Comment

This happened to my with my 02 1150GS. It was simply a burned out running light fillament in the brake light bulb. The ABS is smart enought to dim the brake light to 50% and keep it on all the time, then give it 100% when the brake is engaged. So check the bulb first and see if it looks good. Otherwise, off to the dealer.

Comment

Tony, it was good to meet and talk with you at Hebert's today. Hope they get your bike repaired soon. Try to make one of the club meetings when you can.
            Gator
            BoB

CURRENT BIKEs

2010 R 1200 GS

CLUB AFFILIATIONS
            BMWMOA, BMWMOAL,

Comment

Nice meeting and talking with you as well, Bob. And yes sir, i hope they can fix the bike pronto as well. I did have a nice ride on my old SR yesterday it's as nothing has changed every time i ride the old girl. And you are correct i do need to make a meeting.
              Tony
              Mobile,AL

Comment

Hey Bones, consider yourself lucky indeed if you met in person the Hebert's ambassador himself.."Gator" Daigle! He keeps that place in line down there!
                Current Bikes
                '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
                '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

Comment

I got the call today, it's fixed pick it up Sat. i'm ready to ride.
                  Tony
                  Mobile,AL

Comment

Great news...if your day is tomorrow...da weather looks great! I am ready!!!
                    Current Bikes
                    '16 BMW R1200GSA "Buck"
                    '18 BMW G310GS "Tiny"

Member;

Comment

Tony it was good to see you again today at Hebert's. Glad your GS is fixed and you can ride again. Hope you had a good trip back to Mobile and a a fun ride after you unloaded the bike. See you at Gulf Shores in April.
                      Gator
                      BoB

CURRENT BIKEs

2010 R 1200 GS

CLUB AFFILIATIONS
                      BMWMOA, BMWMOAL,

Comment

Good to see you and meet Wanda,the trip home was good unloaded and rode back to The Shed in Miss for a pulled pork samich,Yum. Worked the side roads back to the house..it was a great afternoon of riding. Did you take the offer to ride the RR? See you guys in April.
                        Tony
                        Mobile,AL

Comment

Tony, sounds like you had a good afternoon of ridin' and eatin'. We grilled up some smoked sausage at the shop for lunch and left around 3 PM for home. I didn't ride the S1000, but a few others did. My stomach hits the tank and I can't reach the handle bars. We did uncrate another S1000 along with a 2010 RT and GSA, nice machines. It was almost like Christmas except we didn't go home with any of the presents
                          Gator
                          BoB

CURRENT BIKEs

2010 R 1200 GS

CLUB AFFILIATIONS
                          BMWMOA, BMWMOAL,

Comment

Working...
                          X