Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hall sensor? problem,maybe. help.

Hi all,
    Just bought a 2000 rt1100, 35k Miles and am now having problems...Bike usualy starts ok then splutters and stalls followed by rev counter going mad and lots of what appears to be electrical "buzzing" from somewhere under the tank, Or i get a couple of miles down the road and then it stops. repaired a couple of dodgy wires, ran ok for a couple of weeks but now the problem is back. Dont want to spend lots of dosh on halls sensor if it turns out to be something else. Fed up of stripping all the tupperware,help me before i get the fuel can and matches out!!..Pleeeeeeease.

John.

Hey John.

Give Terry Ware a call at 205 987-2090 and take it to him at Terry's Two Wheel and Tire& tune in Pelham. He is an excellent BMW wrench and his shop rate is good.
    Bob Steber
    1995 R100GSPDC Long Tall Sallie
    1991 R100GS The Bumblebee
    1976 R90s Odalisque

Comment

Originally posted by R90Srider View Post
      Hey John.

Give Terry Ware a call at 205 987-2090 and take it to him at Terry's Two Wheel and Tire& tune in Pelham. He is an excellent BMW wrench and his shop rate is good.
      Bob,

I'll bet John would think traveling 4 or 5 thousand miles is a bit much to get his bike repaired.
      Steve Schuckman
      2002 K1200RS Ice Blue/Marrakesh
      2015 Mercedes SLK350

Comment

Originally posted by SteveS View Post
        Bob,

I'll bet John would think traveling 4 or 5 thousand miles is a bit much to get his bike repaired.
        I'll bet you are right, but it would be worth the trip to meet some Alabeemers .

I did not notice his location until the second look. Hopefully some of our tech savvy members can help.
        Bob Steber
        1976 R90s Odalisque

Comment

Originally posted by goathearder View Post
          Hi all,
          Just bought a 2000 rt1100, 35k Miles and am now having problems...Bike usualy starts ok then splutters and stalls followed by rev counter going mad and lots of what appears to be electrical "buzzing" from somewhere under the tank, Or i get a couple of miles down the road and then it stops. repaired a couple of dodgy wires, ran ok for a couple of weeks but now the problem is back. Dont want to spend lots of dosh on halls sensor if it turns out to be something else. Fed up of stripping all the tupperware,help me before i get the fuel can and matches out!!..Pleeeeeeease.

John.
          John, first...welcome to our Alabama Forum and you may want to check this thread, hope this helps.

http://forums.bmwmoal.org/showthread.php?t=868
          Don G Norwood

2011 R1200GSA Radio Flyer III with DMC sidecar
          1975 R90/6 w/Velorex sidecar -Sold to a good home
          2015 G650GS, 1998 1200C.

Click here for more infomation FIRST SATURDAY IN DECEMBER

"The Bike may have got us together, but the friendships will keep us together"

Comment

Thanks

Thanks all, Will check out the thread but pretty sure it's my Hall sensors as all the symptons match a thread i saw oon the Uk beemer site, Dam....150.00, hoping it was just a wiring fault!
            Would love to come and seeyou all but it wont make it 2 miles at moment let alone a trip across the pond!. hope weathers good over there cos its turning cold and dark over here, Winter....dont you just love it!
            Once again, thanks all....Will let you know the outcome when i get the part, be a couple of weeks.

Comment

Good luck John with finding your problem. Several friends here in Alabama have had the same difficulty as you recently. I hope Gary Dubois' write-up will be helpful.

I looked on my Garmin MapSource European edition for Herts UK and could not find it. Are you in a suburb of a larger city or town?
              Bob Steber
              1976 R90s Odalisque

Comment

Herts.

Hi Bob,
                For your info i live in a town called Rickmansworth in Hertfordshire (Herts) It's 20 miles north west of london and 20 miles from London Heathrow Airport.
                It's a nice place with 3 rivers running through it plus a Canal and several lakes all around which were once gravel extraction pits,which are now used for fishing, Boating sking etc, nice walks through woodlands as well. Also you can go to google maps UK and punch in my postcode (zip code) and see my (little) house. postcode WD38GP. Might not get bike done this weekend cos the weather forecast is looking very wet and i dont have a garage cos houses are expensive here and one with a garage costs an arm and a leg!.
                ps Bikes called Black Betty, After the song...Question is, Will i ever grow to love her?

John.

Comment

Hall sensors

Hi again,
                  if others have got probs try this site, It shows pics too and how to make a test box to test the timing/positioning of the sensors. Only took me 15 mins to make the test box yet BMW charge you about 100.
                  http://users.rcn.com/dehanger.
                  Good luck.

Comment

Hall sensor.

Hi Y'all,
                    Fitted a new set of hall sensors and so far everything seems to be ok, took her for several runs on Sat, Starting and stopping to let her cool down cos thats when the problem occours.
                    Ended up at the famous Ace Caf'e on the north circular raod and had a good time with loads of fellow bikers/riders. Took her out Sunday with no probs also so lets keep my fingers crossed and hope alls well with her.
                    Thanks for all your help, support and friendship. Now perhaps i can enjoy her before it gets too cold. (frost this morn!)

John.

Comment

Hall Sensor Issues ...

Hey, back in 1981, I lived in Kingston upon Thames south west of London. I still wear my 1981 Marlboro British Grand Prix pin from Silverstone on my jacket.

I am glad your repair seems to have fixed your issues. If it doesn't, check your coil. I had similar issues and in order to avoid paying BMW their fees to confirm the culprit, I spoke with several experts who all knew more than I did. The general consenses was the Hall Timing Sensor. After replacement, I was still having issues. It turned out that my coil was bad. I bought one off of eBay from a parted bike, and I have not had an issue since over the last year and about 20,000 miles!

Good Luck Mate

~ Rodger

Comment

Working...
                      X